Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Movicol questions!

(4 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 10-Oct-17 10:23:15

Had a phone appointment with the GP this morning and he literally said 'there are loads of mums out there who can help you more than I can, post on mumsnet and you'll get lots of advice!' So here I am! Hopefully all the responses will agree with one another!

So:

- DS has been on 1 sachet movicol a day since about June/July (after giving him Ovex when he was itching his bum. If anything that's meant to cause diarrhoea, but turned his poo into teeny weeny, incredibly painful, rocks. Maybe just a coincidence. Still not sure if he ever had worms!).
I tried reducing the dose to half a sachet a day but problems just returned, so how do you ever get them off Movicol? Doc said they don't like them to be taking Movicol for more than about 3 months, which is the stage we're at now, but he's happily prescribed some more this morning.
Doc said that it's just as they get older their diet improves and they don't need the movicol anymore, BUT DS eats loads of fibre - fruit, veg, bran flakes or weetabix for breakfast, only granary bread. He drinks loads as I allow him squash and diluted apple juice, because of his poo issues. So I really don't think it's dietary!

- How can we avoid him retaining his poo?? He only poos at home - most mornings, he's pretty regular really. However he's started nursery this month and doesn't poo at nursery (Thurs and Fri), so then we spend the weekend getting him back on track. He's gone off to grandparents this morning without having had a poo, so won't poo today now.
Also, we tried potty training at the end of Aug and he was excited about wees (standing) but he has never ever sat on the potty or toilet, and he ended up just holding in his poo for a few days.
So any tips on helping him not retain his poo - doctor said I need to teach him it's good to poo, not to be embarrassed, he can poo anywhere etc. This is where he said Mumsnetters could advise! We always praise him for doing a poo, it's never an inconvenience or bad or anything. I don't know where this has come from sad

Thanks in advance!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 10-Oct-17 10:23:34

Ugh that did have more paragraphs I promise!

cornishgirl17 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:15:28

I have no good advice, sorry. My DD used to get constipated.

Random I know but I found that if she had weetabix she would suffer. It took me a while to realise this else I would of stopped it sooner. Maybe worth a try?

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 18-Oct-17 13:03:38

Thanks for your reply Cornish.

Turns out he is pooing at nursery, hurray! Still none the wiser how to get him off the movicol though. Might try going down to half a pack again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now