Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 3 year old has to have an MRI of his brain. Im freeking out just a tad.

(10 Posts)
OnlyParentsAreReal Mon 09-Oct-17 20:59:41

I'm scared to death of them putting him to sleep. And if the scan finds something is wrong. They said it could take up to 2 months before he gets his appointment. How do I not go insane worrying until then?

littlemissneela Mon 09-Oct-17 21:07:46

I haven't got any words of wisdom, but didn't want to read and run. That sounds really scary, but if its 2 months before he has the mri, that would say to me it isnt anything that needs urgent attention. What happened to get to the point he would need one? I hope he gets some good news when he has the scan.

OnlyParentsAreReal Mon 09-Oct-17 21:26:56

One of his eyes only works when forced to and is barely measurable even with strong glasses, despite a year of treatment nothing changed and now is measuring slightly worse. But they can't see anything wrong with his eye. They said he needed one right away but they have a back log so it will be 2 months :/

RosyPony Mon 09-Oct-17 21:39:22

Do they do it under general anesthetic, is that your worry?

No MRIs but my son has had two GA's (both age 2), he took the first one so well he was fine going back for the second, the hospital were brilliant in their handling of a toddler, they explained what would happen and although he didn't really understand. He was a bit upset when the canula went in but the anesthetists were so calm and understanding. Both times he was very disorientated when he woke and he did cry a lot (more out of confusion rather than pain) but both times he has calmed down gradually and he has decimated the biscuits provided by staff!

I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, every single one has been brilliant and have been totally accommodating of a confused small boy's demands. I felt really reassured.

I hope that helps put your mind at rest a bit, it's a huge worry but the staff are so good and so professional it puts your mind at rest,

BlackSwan Mon 09-Oct-17 21:47:17

Complain & be persistent. You have to be your child's advocate. They have told you he needs it right away - anything can happen in 2 months. This is just unacceptable. Hopefully it will be clear, but if it's not, then whatever it is could just be deteriorating in the meantime. Even if it is clear, you may not be any closer to a diagnosis. Alternatively if you have private health insurance, you could possibly move things more quickly that way - you would need a referral of course. If you're in the uk you're looking at about £7-9K or so for a brain scan under general anaesthesia. This is really traumatic. I'm so sorry.

elliejjtiny Mon 09-Oct-17 21:52:02

My 4 year old has had 5 mri's, 3 of them under GA. It's horrible watching them go to sleep but the anaesthetists are amazing and take very good care of them.

RaisinSmuggler Mon 09-Oct-17 21:53:25

Hey
If it was that urgent they would admit him and do it as an inpatient. Also, the lists are done on urgency so if it was that urgent again he would be put in for a cancelled slot or moved up. Sounds like they have made you panic!

OnlyParentsAreReal Mon 09-Oct-17 22:20:05

Yeah I'm terrified about him going under. I know it's not that risky but still has me worried, my mother almost died due to an anesthesia compilations a few years back. They said he needs the MRI before it gets worse. But not knowing what it is scares me, but what scares me more is if it turns out to be something bad. I will be ringing every week till he has it though. It's how I got this appointment moved up by 4 months!

HerRoyalNotness Tue 10-Oct-17 00:10:39

My 5yo had one under Ga due to unexplained seizures. They let me stay with him I'll he was put under then I was out in the waiting room. It took a lot longer than I expected, I was there for about 4hrs until he came into recovery. It might take your mind off it if you have someone you can chat with while you wait. A friend happened to be there the same time as her son was having brain surgery and we passed some time together. It turned out he has epilepsy which we didn't expect, but there you go.

I hope it's nothing serious and you're able to get the appt moved up closer.

OnlyParentsAreReal Tue 10-Oct-17 20:06:51

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about taking someone else with me. I had no idea an MRI could take that long. How long did they say it was going to take?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now