Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old smelly urine

(6 Posts)
guiltynetter Mon 09-Oct-17 09:43:21

My 3 year old DD started becoming unwell yesterday, didn't really eat anything apart from a fruit pot and a biscuit, and had a high temp of 38-39 which came down with calpol/ibruprofen. she was okay in herself, a little quiet but played, watched tv etc.

today she's much the same (temp) but when i took her pull up nappy off this morning it absolutely smelled so offensive it was horrible, it never smells like that usually. i had to throw it in the outside bin straight away and she's just had a wee on the toilet and it smells the same. i googled and this suggests a UTI but she has no other symptoms except a temperature. anybody any advice? thanks.

justforthisthread101 Mon 09-Oct-17 09:46:59

That's either a UTI or thrush.

I'd get her to a GP as you need her wee to be tested. If it's a UTI, insist they culture it to make sure that they're treating it appropriately and also ask for another culture a week after she's finished antibiotics to make sure it's actually gone.

It can be a kidney infection quite quickly so I'd get her seen to today.

SnowiestMountain Mon 09-Oct-17 09:48:50

Probably a UTI, get her seen today as she'll probably need antibiotics.

guiltynetter Mon 09-Oct-17 10:31:13

thank you. she's had another wee and it didn't smell, i'm wondering whether this mornings was because she didn't drink much fluids yesterday so it was very strong this morning? she's just eaten breakfast at least, better than yesterday.

justforthisthread101 Mon 09-Oct-17 10:42:32

They can be quite insidious guiltynetter. I would take her to the doctor. Particularly if she had a temp yesterday. It takes them two minutes to do a urine dip.

kbb23 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:22:59

My d's has had same last few days mentioned it to Dr who said because he has had a slight cold it's probably just a result of that, especially as his wees throughout the day aren't as foul just his first one or two morning ones! Hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now