We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Excruciating ear pain that won't go away

(11 Posts)
californiadreamer Sun 08-Oct-17 14:13:40

Am at my wit's end. Two months ago, dd developed ear pain. Three visits to the GP later and one referral to A&E and we're none the wiser.

She's had her ear syringed and there's no infection. After the referral by our GP to A&E the ENT dr there noticed she had enlarged (not inflamed) tonsils and suggests that this may be causing Eustachian Tube dysfunction and that she might need to have her tonsils out.

He presribed 30mg codeine to manage the pain while we wait for an appointment at the ENT clinic, as ibuprofen and calpol just don't touch it.

The codeine seemed to work for a couple of days but this past weekend the pain has returned. It comes on very suddenly - and is so painful she cries and screams with the pain - and then it goes away just as suddenly. She can have around 4 to 5 painful episodes an hour.

I called 111 and was referred to the out of hours GP. He took a look at her today and discounted the idea that she needs a tonsillectomy and that she might have TMJ - the jaw disorder.

I've googled both Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and TMJ and her symptoms don't seem like either.

Anyway - she's been prescribed Naproxem now - until the ENT appointment next week but so far that doesn't seem to be working.

How long should an 11 year old be in unbearable pain for before something needs to be done? Just don't know what to do. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

shewolfmum Sun 08-Oct-17 21:00:18

If open to ot try some pulsatilla. If you don't believe in homeopathy it doesn't matter...worth a try? Can get a 30 from local health food shop or pharmacy...

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Sun 08-Oct-17 21:20:39

Codiene shouldn't be given to anyone under 12. It's a fairly recent recommendation.

Jenala Sun 08-Oct-17 21:56:54

Had she had her ears syringed before? When my mum had excruciating ear pain it was due to trapped water from syringing. I guess water could get trapped other ways. They cleaned her ear with suction after weeks of bad pain that was intermittently horrendous pain.
A friend of mine is a clinical scientist and works a lot in ent and says syringing is bad news these days though loads of doctors still recommend it.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 08-Oct-17 22:19:27

A random thought but has she seen a dentist recently? Could be pain from the jaw?

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 08-Oct-17 22:20:57

If it’s really that bad go back to a and e btw - you shouldn’t wait a week if she can’t manage with the pain something more needs to be done

Usernom1234567890 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:18:30

@californiadreamer....is your dentist confident this is not a problem tooth?

californiadreamer Tue 10-Oct-17 17:31:20

Not a problem tooth - she's been checked quite recently and I did think maybe that might be it. We went back to A & E - nothing sinister in ENT so she is booked in for an MRI - one dr suggested it might be a compressed nerve!

hp2 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:36:34

I was on long term antibiotics for years as a child with recurrent ear pain presumed to be infection. ENT took one look at me and said it was referred pain from my teeth. Have you tried getting the dentist to check things over?

californiadreamer Tue 10-Oct-17 19:24:15

That's interesting hp2 and usernom - were you in pain all the time or did the pain come and go?

Usernom1234567890 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:10:17

Dental pain tends to come and go, pulpitis initially, then develops into periodontitis.
Did your DD have any radiographs at her last dental check ? Or has she had any in past 12-18 months? Does she have any fillings at all?
It's really common to have ear pain with dental problems.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now