Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Give antibiotics or not?

(9 Posts)
0hCrepe Fri 06-Oct-17 17:26:04

DD 12 m had a v high temp for 2 nights, snotty coldy, cough etc so I took her to dr yesterday. Throat and ear red so she prescribed antibiotics but said leave it for a couple of days.
Last night she wasn't hot but was crying out a lot in the night and we gave a lot of calpol and ibuprofen. Still clearly sore today - not eating much and crying out but a rash has come up. Is it likely to be viral or should I go ahead with the antibiotics? Just want to know the best way to help her feel better!

Luckymummy22 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:45:24

Probably viral and rash often comes out at end.
BUT it is a rash & she's only 12 months. So I would maybe see if you can get an out of hours appt if you think it's needed.
With regards to distress I normally find it gets really bad at tail end of virus. I take child to Drs because they are so poorly only for them to pick up as soon as they are in waiting room.

Haudyerwheesht Fri 06-Oct-17 20:51:14

What's the rash like? Could it be scarlet fever? In which case she will need antibiotics - what kind have you got?

0hCrepe Fri 06-Oct-17 21:20:52

Thanks for your replies. The rash is on her head mainly and itchy. She's always getting blotchy when I bf her I don't know why (I mean always has done) and has random spots that come and go since birth so prone to rashes.
I've just brought her downstairs as she wouldn't go in her cot and she's actually laughing with her big sister which is nice.

Toomuchocolate Fri 06-Oct-17 21:23:08

I would give them to be honest. She's got a fever and babies can go downhill quickly.

0hCrepe Fri 06-Oct-17 21:23:20

She's been given amoxicillin

0hCrepe Fri 06-Oct-17 21:23:55

She hasn't got the fever anymore.

Toomuchocolate Fri 06-Oct-17 21:24:47

Sorry just read properly, you said NOT hot. I would give it if she seems worse but maybe hold off if she seems better overall. You could always phone for advice if you are unsure.

0hCrepe Fri 06-Oct-17 21:41:32

Thanks. I think better overall so I think I'll see how she is in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now