Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about DD - stomach pains

(19 Posts)
Dauphinois Thu 05-Oct-17 18:20:58

DD vomited a couple of times in the early hours of last Sat morning, which I put down to a sickness bug doing the rounds. She didn’t eat much over the weekend and seemed a bit quiet but was basically ok.

On Sunday night she woke up several times crying in pain, saying her tummy hurt. She was still uncomfortable by morning so we went to gp, who couldn’t find anything major and said it was likely to be the sickness bug lingering a bit.

Fast forward to today and Dd is still crying a fair bit, saying her tummy hurts. She does have spells in between when she seems fine, but we always come back to this sore tummy. It seems to peak when she eats, which is understandably putting her off food.

Is it normal for sick bug tummy pains to go on this long ? Or might it be something else?

She’s got no temp, had one loose poo on Monday but otherwise normal in that dept and no more vomiting.

Any thoughts? She’s 6. Thank you.

Dauphinois Thu 05-Oct-17 20:15:06

Anyone?

strawberrypenguin Thu 05-Oct-17 20:18:43

Does her tummy actually hurt? Can she pinpoint a particular spot?
If it’s a more ‘general’ pain could she just be anxious about eating having been sick recently?

debbs77 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:19:51

My children get bad tummy ache when they've been sick because of the muscles used.

They also get a belly ache after eating bread

SeaToSki Thu 05-Oct-17 20:21:53

What has she been eating since the weekend? How much and what is she drinking?

1981trouble Thu 05-Oct-17 20:30:41

Can she hop? That’s the test our gp did for appendicitis.

My eldest gets a tummy ache when he is starting with tonsillitis (and also pukes).

Dauphinois Thu 05-Oct-17 20:36:56

I think her tummy does hurt, yes. She insists on having an ice pack in it, as they do at school when something hurts, bless her. The pain seems to come and go but seems worse when she eats or at the end of the day - or maybe she’s just had enough by then and reacts more, crying etc.

If I press her tummy gently it doesn’t seem to hurt on one spot more than another, if that makes sense. The gp ruled out appendicitis for that reason.

She hasn’t vomited since last Friday so I wouldn’t have thought the physical pain of being sick would still be hurting by now, but I do know what you mean.

She’s been picking away at food, bits of fruit, half a ham sandwich and a bit of flapjack for lunch. A bit of pasta last night. She’s a picky eater at the best of times but hasn’t got much appetite at present. She’s drinking her usual amounts of squash.

Dauphinois Thu 05-Oct-17 20:38:13

She’s asleep now. It I’ll see if she can goo tomorrow morning - it’s worth a try!

Dauphinois Thu 05-Oct-17 20:38:35

Not goo, HOP!!

TiesThatBindMe Thu 05-Oct-17 20:43:46

Loss of appetite would worry me in a child so young. I've no idea what you can do though apart from bring her back to the GP.

SeaToSki Thu 05-Oct-17 20:43:51

Does she have a sore throat or a headache? Mine always get bad stomach aches when they have a throat infection and the stomach ache is usually worse than the throat. Another sign is a strawberry tongue....google it its v difficult to describe but easy to understand if you see a photo.

KarateKitten Thu 05-Oct-17 20:47:23

I've had the odd tummy thing that left me with pains for a few days/weeks after every time I ate. But more like Delhi belly from travelling stuff than a usual bug.

sadie9 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:33:26

Could be a virus. Then they have glands around the tummy button that swell up and cause pain. I've actually been to A&E with my son in the early years, because sometimes the tummy pain was worse than the cold/virus he had. But we always got told the same thing, it's the glands in the tummy.
I'd imagine your girl will get better in the next few days. It's 7 to 10 days for a virus, I think....

mineofuselessinformation Thu 05-Oct-17 22:44:55

It could be swollen glands in the abdomen, as pp said, but I'm wondering how old she is?
My dds both had terrible tummy pain in the months before they started their periods.
Either way, it's best to get it checked out.

TiesThatBindMe Thu 05-Oct-17 22:51:07

Girl is 6.

lougle Thu 05-Oct-17 23:14:54

It sounds like mesenteric adenitis (swollen a abdominal glands) as other posters have said. There's a really useful chart on children's abdominal pain here it tells you when to see a GP, when to call 111 and when to go to A&E (with the usual caveat that if you are just instinctively very worried about your child, despite their obvious symptoms fitting into a 'less concerning' category, you should never feel you can't seek help).

Dauphinois Fri 06-Oct-17 13:34:49

Thank you so much - I’d never heard of abdominal glands but the symptoms fit so maybe it’s that sort of virus.

That one pager is great, definitely one to hang onto- thank you all again flowers

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Fri 06-Oct-17 22:01:49

This sounds very like a sickness bug that we all had about a month ago. Started with usual symptoms, nausea, vomiting etc. These cleared after about 24 hours but every day after eating for about a week afterwards I was left with stomach pain.

It was a whole week before I could eat again properly without it making me feel poorly.

Fingers crossed that it is just a virus and your DD will be back to normal quickly.

Dauphinois Fri 06-Oct-17 22:49:22

That sounds exactly it! It's a week today since the sickness started so hopefully we're coming to the end of it now. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now