Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

*please help* child hip pain

(17 Posts)
PabloEscobarlo Thu 05-Oct-17 07:21:30

Dd 5 was moaning after school yesterday that one leg was tired. Didn’t hunk much of it.
She was awake at 9.30pm with it and had a bit of calpol.
She woke screaming at 6, it’s coming from
Her hip and down to her leg. I’ve given her calpol and a hot water bottle. She can sort of limp on it but if its manipulated she starts crying.
I’m waiting for dp to come off nights to get more neurofen and calpol (home in ten)

I’m wondering if it’s cause for doctor, hospital or anything else I can do.
Do I keep her off school?

MrsKCastle Thu 05-Oct-17 07:25:26

Yes, I would make a GP appointment. There are several things that can cause hip pain in children, but the doctor will want to rule out the more worrying causes like infection.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 05-Oct-17 07:27:19

After 5 years of being in agony with this sort of pain it took an osteopath to tell me that hip pain can be deferred back pain

See a doctor and maybe get a referral

PurplePillowCase Thu 05-Oct-17 07:29:37

yes
I wouldn't go to gp though. an x-ray might be needed.

PandoNoPants Thu 05-Oct-17 07:30:19

Definitely call your Dr as soon as they open. Especially if she is screaming in pain.

My DS had similar once and it was a type of reactive arthritis due to infection.

Please call them and get her an appointment. It needs checking out asap. Xx

knottybeams Thu 05-Oct-17 07:31:49

A&E job. Worst case is infection in the joint which needs treatment ASAP.

PabloEscobarlo Thu 05-Oct-17 07:31:53

Thank you all

PETRONELLAS Thu 05-Oct-17 07:38:23

There is a thing called irritable hip. It comes on suddenly. More common in boys.
My DS was 5. I dragged him into school thinking he was putting it on a bit but ended up in A&E. They were excellent and explained it could be an infection - took bloods, waited on result. No infection so irritable hip diagnosed. Hope it goes well.

MrsKCastle Thu 05-Oct-17 13:01:03

How is she doing Pablo? Hope you have been seen.

PointlessUsername Thu 05-Oct-17 13:04:24

Ds had similar pain and wasnt able to fully extend his hip.

5 days in hospital, MRI scan, ultrasound whilst fluid was withdrawn and full bloods later he was diagnosed with Arthritis.

We saw the Gp who sent us to the hospital but if i needed to again i would bypass the GP and go straight to A&E.

Hope dd is okay flowers

PabloEscobarlo Thu 05-Oct-17 13:24:40

Hi all, just back from gp. 40 min wait and seen for 4 minutes. They say she has just strained it?

Majormanner Thu 05-Oct-17 13:27:17

I wouldnt accept that if there was screaming from the pain. Whilst I hate to bother A&E, if that were my child, I would be taking them to there - perhaps call 111 first (although take them with as much salt as you will find in Pesto)

PabloEscobarlo Thu 05-Oct-17 13:43:15

111 said the doctor.
She’s calmed down with nurofen and calpol so far.

MrsKCastle Thu 05-Oct-17 18:11:37

Hope she feels better soon. Don't hesitate to go back if she doesn't improve, especially if she gets a temperature or is otherwise unwell.

PabloEscobarlo Thu 05-Oct-17 20:22:42

Thank you, seems to be wearing off but it did really scare me I have to say.

MulhuddartDrive Thu 05-Oct-17 20:27:59

Has she had a virus recently, even a mild one? Ds ended up with transient synovitis when he was 2 after just a runny nose. He was limping but otherwise fine. In his case it resolved itself quickly and easily but it can be more difficult so get her back to the go if she's not improving quickly.

PabloEscobarlo Fri 06-Oct-17 13:13:16

No virus, it really was most odd.
Grandad turned up this morning to come along for the walk to school and she totally forgot all about her leg. Just called school and checked on her and all okay.

It did really scare me yesterday! Thank you all so much for the advice and help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now