Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

molluscum contagiosum

(12 Posts)
Elizabeth201 Sun 24-Sep-17 15:59:41

Hi,
My son started showing signs of this skin virus in March 2017. The spots are continuing to develop through the stages and then heal. They are starting to spread different areas of his body and now onto his face. Anyone had any experience of this virus, any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Battyoldbat Sun 24-Sep-17 16:02:47

How old is he? My DD had this for a while, GP advised it can just be left and it will clear up on its own. However because she also has eczema and we couldn't use her cream on top of the molluscum, I used molludab treatment to see if it helped. It's basically an acid that irritates the spots to provoke your immune system into recognising them and attacking them and it did work for us but I'd be very wary of using it on a very young child because of the danger of it burning normal skin.

Elizabeth201 Sun 24-Sep-17 16:11:47

Thanks for replying, he's 3. I've heard that he should stop baths and shower instead. Did you do anything different in your daily routine?

LondonLassInTheCountry Mon 25-Sep-17 03:43:56

Let him pick it.

The body then realises its an infection and they will clear up

Thegirlinthefireplace Mon 25-Sep-17 03:48:50

Agree with LondonLass. My son had this, he seemed to have it for ages without it improving, doc said leave it to clear up on its own but come back if it looks infected but that getting infected isn't the worst thing as this usually triggers it to clear up and sure enough soon it got infected and cleared up very quickly after.

OlennasWimple Mon 25-Sep-17 03:54:22

You need to find the "mother" spot - when you've burst that one (and removed the gross hard core) the others should start to heal up too

upthewolves Mon 25-Sep-17 06:37:10

I had these as a child. As pp said, one was a 'mother' spot. I think it was first to appear and was definitely largest. The doctor burned that one off and the others disappeared. I still have a couple of scars from them,

Chrisinthemorning Mon 25-Sep-17 06:42:55

DS had this earlier in the year. I used molludab. It stings slightly when applied but I blew on it and he was brave as he wanted rid of them too. He's just 5.
It did work, they have gone now, he had them around 3 months and they went within a couple of weeks of starting dibdabs as he called it. They can last years if left.

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 25-Sep-17 12:44:36

We battled with this for 18 months. Thuja and Carb Calc (homeopathic) cleared it up. I am skeptical about homeopathy but it was gone in 2 weeks after this

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 25-Sep-17 12:48:30

DS is older, but his bout lasted around 18 months. Towards the last couple of months he got some mahoosive sore, red ones (previously they hadn't bothered him at all) then they literally went away within a week.

StaplesCorner Mon 25-Sep-17 12:50:23

My DD is now 14 she had this start in (maybe) year 6 and it took 2 years to clear up, we got to the point where the horns came out and then it started to clear up. At the time, my GPs (more than one in the same practice) did not recognise it or know how to treat it I was quite shocked to be honest, but thinking it was some sort of skin infection they did prescribe antibiotic cream and that seemed to help.

Its amazing to see you all chatting about it now as its much more recognised but I was really cross with the doctors at the time, it was on her bottom and she was in so much pain she couldn't sit down sad

Bananmanfan Mon 25-Sep-17 12:52:59

Dd had this from 18 months until after she turned 3. Drs & nurse had no advice other than it will go away in about 18 months, which it did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now