Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Private flu vaccine

(7 Posts)
OneOfTheGrundys Sat 23-Sep-17 22:41:55

I'd like my 10 yo to have the nasal flu vaccination. He's no other health issues but we have some very frail close family members.

I've searched a lot online and can't seem to find it privately.

Any ideas? Experience?

(I don't want to have a vacc/non vacc debate. I just want info please.)

Tia flowers

EasilyDistracted77 Sat 23-Sep-17 22:50:29

Good luck! My child is the same age and I have failed to find anywhere to get a flu vaccine for him for the past few years because he falls just outside age group vaccinated on the NHS. Somewhere online there is a list of pharmacies or private practices who might offer the vaccination for children, but considering I pay £10 for my own, it doesn't come cheap.

OneOfTheGrundys Sat 23-Sep-17 22:53:46

I know! Men b jabs were easy to find but not this one... DS2 will get it at school but DS1 won't.
I might just ring a private gp and see what they say.

Daisymay2 Sat 23-Sep-17 23:09:41

Could you put up the agrument that he meets the NHs criteria regarding your elderly fraile relatives:-
"consideration should also be given to the vaccination of household
contacts of immunocompromised individuals, specifically individuals
who expect to share living accommodation on most days over the
winter and, therefore, for whom continuing close contact is
unavoidable"
I suspect the issue with private providers is that the nasal vaccine is expensive and shortdated, and there is little guarantee they would use it if they bought when the orders had to be placed in March time

OneOfTheGrundys Sun 24-Sep-17 06:17:09

Ah that is really interesting re the vaccine cost and dating.
I guess they could argue that the great grandparents/immunocompromised have the jab so in theory they're protected. I just want belt and braces.

Uneek Mon 23-Oct-17 15:07:42

I was going to post on here to find out where to get private flu shots for my kids. Last year I used a NHS GP clinic nearby for the nasal mist; they charged me as a private patient. This year I phoned them and they said they don't do it, even when I said we had been there last year.
I've now phoned round all local private GPs and found 3 that can give the shots to kids ranging in price from £25-£49 per child. Seems crazy as mine was £10 at Sainsburys!

makingmiracles Mon 06-Nov-17 14:35:42

Did you have any luck oneofthegrundys?

I also want to find out where to get the vaccine privately for dd who falls into the right criteria to have it at school,this year, but after speaking with the school nurse they advised the nasal spray is live vaccine and the injection not, hence why they don’t give the nasal spray for people who are immuno compromised.

She has a variety of unusual signs and symptoms and is under a paed but no one knows what is going on with her and so to be on the safe side I don’t feel comfortable with her having a live vaccine spray and would like to find a injection, even if that means paying privately. Can’t seem to find anything online locally though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now