Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn mucous/congestion - at 3 months!

(19 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Thu 21-Sep-17 21:36:18

DD is still congested from birth. She was given antibiotics when it was at its worst (couldn’t breath during night etc) which helped but it’s never gone away completely.

It’s most obvious when she feeds, as she has to breath out of her nose. It means she struggles and takes in quite a lot of air.

HV said she probably just has narrow nasal passages and it’ll get better. Is that right? Is it quite normal for her to be so stuffy at 3 months?

SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 14:40:11

Bump

Crazylou Fri 22-Sep-17 17:56:50

DS 29 months was the same from birth, but then gradually got worse each month due to 3/4 infections each month, young babies can be stuffy but I knew my little one had other issues due to all the infections, in end up he had to get his adenoids out when 1 year old to help him, it eventually stopped all the mucus being trapped within nose he started to get better but also had other underlying conditions, I would monitor your little one if your not happy ask for pediatrician referral

Applesandpears56 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:05:04

Another one whose baby had their adenoids out at 13 months. Constant runny nose and worse at night/in skeep indicate adenoids or something similar. Ask for a referral to ent. If the breathing is worse in her sleep or feeding take videos to show your gp.

SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 20:08:06

Thank you @Crazylou

I saw a lactation consultant who mentioned adenoids.

If it doesn’t get any better over the next few weeks I think I’ll take her to GP and ask for a referral

SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 20:09:37

Thank you @Applesandpears56 - have looked up adenoids and it sounds similar

SomeBerryJam Sun 24-Sep-17 07:46:51

Have you asked for a SALT referral?

SleepForTheWeek Sun 24-Sep-17 07:50:38

No @SomeBerryJam - what’s that?

SleepForTheWeek Sun 24-Sep-17 07:51:20

She also often sleeps with her mouth open - is that normal?

SomeBerryJam Tue 26-Sep-17 10:22:17

Speech and language therapist.
My DS had them as he was admitted to hospital for poor feeding and couldn't breathe properly. it might not explain what's going on with your DDs nose, but there could be another underlying problem with her suck, swallow co-ordination.
They will just watch you feed her and listen to her throat, neck and chest and look out for specific facial expressions that could indicate her difficulty.

Hope you get it sorted

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 26-Sep-17 10:25:56

Allergies and intolerances can cause congestion

SleepForTheWeek Wed 27-Sep-17 03:22:58

Oh that’s interesting @SomeBerryJam, I didn’t know SALT were involved with such young children.

@Gileswithachainsaw I’ve been dairy free for 2 months and egg free for 3 weeks. I already don’t eat meat so my diet is now quite restricted which is difficult. The next stage is to cut out soya but I’m reluctant as it’s in EVERYTHING and I honestly don’t know what I could eat.

She’s just had a feed and she’s snoring noisily while on my shoulder.

She has a posterior tongue tie while was unsuccessfully snipped a few weeks back. Waiting on an appointment for another revision. Do you think that would be contributing to it? Clutching at straws

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 27-Sep-17 06:27:01

Ahh yes.

Unfortunately nearly half of people allergic or intolerant to dairy are also affected by soya as the proteins are very similar so it's a very likely culprit.

Maybe ask Dr if you cab Try a prescription formula as you are restricted already ?

Applesandpears56 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:22:10

Giles - she breastfeeds

I wouldn't mess about with guessing allergies etc with a baby this young. Just go straight to gp and ask. If you don't sort soon you are heading into virus season (winter) and you will find it will get worse and might start restricting her growth and development.

Salt aren't involved with such young children.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Wed 27-Sep-17 07:23:42

Ent are the proper people to do the facial assessment etc

SleepForTheWeek Wed 27-Sep-17 10:30:13

It’s a nice win having such a restricted diet but I would still have refer that to having to put her on formula.

We have been seeing a dietician so I’m not excluding things just willy nilly but I think it’s hard to diagnose an intolerance or allergy in such a young child.

SleepForTheWeek Wed 27-Sep-17 10:57:47

It’s *a bit of a pain

Crazylou Thu 28-Sep-17 12:49:06

Pediatrician referral can test for allergies as my DS 29 month old had numerous bloods taken and they got sent away for all underlying conditions including allergies

SomeBerryJam Thu 28-Sep-17 17:27:40

@Applesandpears56 SALT are involved in young children. My son was 4 weeks old when they assessed him.

They are actually very good OP. Wouldn't hurt to ask your HV or GP for a referral..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now