Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does my son's ear look normal to you?

(12 Posts)
Janel85 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:10:23

Hello, just want a quick bit of advice. I noticed today some very prominent veins on my sons ears, he is two years old. I've not noticed them before. I googled it, which of course came with something very scary called Ataxia Telangiectasia. Now I'm panicking (which I do have a tendency to do). Anyway, could you take a look and say whether his ear looks normal or not please? Picture quality is great, the veins look darker in person. Thanks

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 20-Sep-17 16:11:16

It looks like a normal ear to me!

Think about it - how often do you see your own ears?

Whosthemummynow Wed 20-Sep-17 16:12:24

I can't even work out what I'm supposed to be looking at?

Ellapaella Wed 20-Sep-17 16:14:02

Looks normal. Just looked at my own two year olds ear he has the same tiny veins in his ear.

Ellapaella Wed 20-Sep-17 16:16:10

Tiny weeny small capillaries or veins in his ear - looks totally normal to me

Lissette Wed 20-Sep-17 16:16:44

People who have that illness have many other symptoms. Is his movement okay?

Janel85 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:26:19

Thanks for the reassurance, he does fall over quite a bit but then he is two and I remember my eldest doing this. Sometimes his speech can be slightly hard to understand but again, he's two.

Janel85 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:27:12

Thanks for the pic ellapella has made me feel better

Wheresmytaco Wed 20-Sep-17 16:30:17

If that's a clear pictures, I can't see anything unusual.

Lissette Wed 20-Sep-17 16:33:59

Jane I'm like you especially when it comes to my ds's health. You could always check with your GP but I think his ear looks normal to my non medical eye. The capillaries don't look pronounced.

Skyllo30 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:34:21

Totally normal, the skin covering that part of the ears is really thin so you can see tiny blood vessels normally.

It looks different because we can't see our own ears at that angle!

Ttbb Wed 20-Sep-17 16:44:41

Looks normal-he just has rather light skin sobtheciewbs shine through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now