Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mums with toddlers, does this look ok?

(203 Posts)
rackhampearl Wed 20-Sep-17 11:30:58

Realise it's not the best move posting online for advice but I can't get into my Doctors for weeks with DD (2) She has a huge tummy that never goes down. I guess I just want some reassurance that it's normal. She has a small lump in her neck that I'm guessing is a node and she sweats a lot when she sleeps and is complaining of knee ache a lot. She was 2 in March. Does her tummy look normal to you mums of toddlers?

scaredofthecity Wed 20-Sep-17 11:35:44

no I don't think so I'm afraid. Does she have problems with constipation? My DS does get like that sometimes but only really in the evenings and certainly not all the time.
I don't think the node is necessarily anything to worry about but I would definately get her checked out at the drs. Surely you must be able to get an appointment? Can you get an emergency one?

rackhampearl Wed 20-Sep-17 11:40:06

Thanks for the reply. She doesn't suffer constipation at all, in fact she's had 4 solid poops already today but she doesn't struggle at all. I could get an emergency one but I didn't want to waste the Drs time if it looks like abnormal pot belly.

welshweasel Wed 20-Sep-17 11:41:43

You're obviously concerned so I'd see a doctor. They'll probably reassure you that its nothing to worry about but I don't think you'll get that reassurance from the internet!!

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:41:55

Not at all! I am not an expert so may well be overreacting but I'd want her seen today if she was my dd.
Hope I'm panicking unnecessarily

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:43:21

She does have a nice smile smile

rackhampearl Wed 20-Sep-17 11:43:32

A normal*

I just meant reassurance in the sense there will be hundred of mums on here with 2 year olds that could maybe tell me if their DC tummy looks the same. That's all. Thanks for replies everyone I will call up the Dr and see about a telephone appointment.

raspberryblush23 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:45:20

I would get an emergency appt as my DD had a lump in her neck that turned out to be an abscess that required surgery. I don't mean to scare you but lumps should be checked and mention tummy/knee. You can't be too careful when it comes to little ones.

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:46:39

How long has it been like that?
Have her nursery not said anything?

LapinR0se Wed 20-Sep-17 11:47:45

Does not look normal and can be a sign of coeliac disease. I would take mine to the doctor for that.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 20-Sep-17 11:47:53

I would insist on getting an appointment. If you can't get in at the doctor, is there a local walk in centre you can get to?

SparklyMagpie Wed 20-Sep-17 11:48:40

My 2yo DS has a similar tummy, I worried but when at his 2 year review was told he's all in proportion and I had nothing to worry about, he is losing some of it though smile he's a happy healthy boy and has always had big chubby cheeks etc, ran in the family of little ones.

I'm sure she is absolutely fine but do see the GP if you are worried smile

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:49:59

That's a good point if you're struggling with the doctor could you try your health visitor?.
Reassuring that some orhers have had this and it's been nothing but it looks very severe to me.

rackhampearl Wed 20-Sep-17 11:50:30

Since I can remember but family members have said it's fine, normal toddler belly. She doesn't go to nursery last HV appointment, nothing was mentioned. A while ago now though.

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:52:42

But it is huge and it looks unnaturally stretched.

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 11:53:44

Sorry. I'm genuinely not having a go. Was just really shocked and am surprised you've had reassurance on here and in rl. But my medical qualifications are similar to my qualifications in rocket science so don't listen to me smile

rackhampearl Wed 20-Sep-17 11:54:46

Thanks Stealth I'm ringing Dr to air my concerns.

SparklyMagpie Wed 20-Sep-17 11:57:49

Sorry I didn't want to come across as it's normal because my son has a little belly :/ as I also concerned as many have always said it's normal to me and I think I just worried people would think he's overweight, so I did speak to the nurse at his review who reassured me. I would definitely ring your GP though just to rule anything out

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Wed 20-Sep-17 11:58:28

Yeah sorry toddlers do tend to have a bit of a pot belly but that looks very taut and more like it's distended rather than chub.

Don't let the doctors fob you off - insist you have a 2 year old that you are very worried about and I'm sure they'll fit you in.

ApplesTheHare Wed 20-Sep-17 11:58:31

My dd is the same age and gets a big tum after eating compared with her friends but nothing like that big. Your dd's tummy looks very bloated so I'd definitely get her checked. I'm not surprised that HV didn't say anything though, as clothes make a big difference. Hopefully it's nothing but better to get checked.

TableMirror Wed 20-Sep-17 11:59:13

DS always has a pot belly despite being quite lean but that does look bloated, I think DS has some separation of his stomach muscles which make it look worse l, I need to refer him to physio to get them to look at it.

SparklyMagpie Wed 20-Sep-17 11:59:19

And apologies if my posts are confusing, I'm bloody shattered lol

PotteringAlong Wed 20-Sep-17 12:00:57

No, not normal. Get it checked.

LittleMissMankyPants Wed 20-Sep-17 12:01:49

I wouldn't wait weeks for a GP appt either.

My youngest used to look like this most of his toddlerhood but then he was very constipated and had big withholding problems. If his belly got as big as your DDs is now it would be because he'd not had a poo for a week and would have been so bunged up he couldn't eat.

Might be worth mentioned the sweating to your GP too as can be a sign of sleep apnea which can be linked with asmtha. My DS used to wriggle, sweat and cough at lot at night time all of which has disappeared since being on inhalers.

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 12:04:35

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now