Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14 month dd hives? Help please

(6 Posts)
Oddsocksforeveryone Wed 20-Sep-17 07:18:56

Sunday night dd came out in a few red blotches under her armpits.
Monday afternoon this broke out into quite a few, some quite large on her arms, legs, back, stomach and most of them on her sides. She saw a Dr Who said could be an allergic reaction to something or reaction to virus that her and siblings have. She had temp of 37.7, cough, snotty nose, drooling. Prescribed piriton and had first dose.
Tuesday morning the rash was worse. She had piriton, no difference. By evening the rash was angry and had spread so I had a phone appointment and Dr said it's common and will go when she's better. More piriton given at bed time.
Wednesday morning the rash has spread again. It is now also on her neck and face and along her sides has joined together.
I don't have experience with this type of rash, I of course am upset and want to take her back to the drs but is this something that will clear up?
Any advice greatly received thank you.

Holdbacktheriver Wed 20-Sep-17 14:14:28

Oh gosh that looks sore op.
If it's spreading get her back to the gp. Usually with hives they'll go down for a bit after piriton but could flare up again and you'd need to give another dose. It shouldn't be spreading and getting worse though. Hope she's better soon flowers

BarbarianMum Wed 20-Sep-17 16:01:25

Is that hives? I'd ask for a second opinion.

Oddsocksforeveryone Wed 20-Sep-17 16:12:14

All I could get was a telephone appointment but they've given us another medicine to try. I've never seen anything like this rash but when I Googled urticaria toddler full body or something I found a page with a photo that looked exactly like what Dd has. She looks dreadful but doesn't seem to be itching. It's so hard to know when you are being over cautious with something new. Thank you smile

SomeBerryJam Sun 24-Sep-17 08:28:54

My nearly 2 year old had exactly the same as yours OP big, red, huge blotches all over him. I took him to the OOH GP (we were due to go on holiday the following day) who said it was definitely hives ( uticuria) but it is not common for children to have them that bad . She said piriton won't get rid of it, just stop it from itching and it will eventually go away. She also said that new blotches will come and go, over a week. If after a week it's still happening, then to go back to gp. Like you, they said it was an allergic reaction to something -what?? I do not know.

0hCrepe Fri 10-Nov-17 22:56:44

How is your dd now? My 13 month old has the same. It’s itching her too I can tell. She’s also off food and breast milk but having water. How long did it last?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now