We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Child flu vaccine

(64 Posts)
Walkingdead11 Tue 19-Sep-17 16:51:15

So who's letting their dc have it then? I have dd who is nearly 7, she had it at 5 yrs and was really poorly with it. So she didn't have it last yr. Thoughts??

dementedpixie Tue 19-Sep-17 17:02:04

Ds has had it the last few years with no side effects (i assume you mean the nasal one)

Walkingdead11 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:26:43

Yes the live one.

levis528curvy Tue 19-Sep-17 17:34:02

I know this is anecdotal and possibly probably coincidence but after I took my dd for her nasal flue vaccine last november i developed one of the worst flus (spelling?) in my life. I was very sick for 6 weeks and including chest infection. I wonder if I berthed in the live virus. I know it's not scientific (I am not a scientist) and both dc will have the nasal vaccine at school this year. Dh and I will go for the flu vaccine that is injected. CAn't afford to be ill like last year as both have started new jobs.

levis528curvy Tue 19-Sep-17 17:34:26

*breathed in the live virus

dementedpixie Tue 19-Sep-17 17:37:34

I think they can shed the virus so you could have caught it if your immunity was low at the time

kicker Tue 19-Sep-17 17:53:22

For the last few autumns DS has been offered the nasal flu vaccine. He doesn't have the spray but a week after the nurse has been he has had a day or two of an elevated fever along with quite a few of his class mate and has to take time off school. He is normally a very healthy boy who is hardly ever ill otherwise.
Very anecdotal and not at all scientific but I have noticed this pattern.

levis528curvy Tue 19-Sep-17 18:18:18

dementedpixie Yes I believe my immune system was run down following a long period of intense work stress, lack of sleep due to dc2 and a few other things. It really hit me and I have rarely felt so awful.

Luckymummy22 Tue 19-Sep-17 18:48:05

My DD has had it for the last few years with no issue.
My DS is due to get it for the 1st time this year and hoping he's the same

KinkyFruits Tue 19-Sep-17 18:54:27

Yes of course I will be taking the opportunity to vaccinate my DCs for a disease that is potentially life-threatening, and at the very least incredibly miserable. We've all been vaccinated every year for as long as it's been available and never had any "side effects."

Hastalapasta Tue 19-Sep-17 18:56:19

DS is asthmatic, he has the spray every year, is fine afterwards.
I am a scientist grin

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Tue 19-Sep-17 18:59:50

DD had it last year with no side-effects and will have it again. I'm not a scientist but have no wish to take time off work at short notice due to preventable illnesses.

Walkingdead11 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:03:29

I have read the Cochrane report, the evidence is not there to back up any evidence that this vaccine saves lives, and there seems to be the issue of shredding virus for up to 3 weeks. My dd is not in an at risk group, neither am I.

Walkingdead11 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:05:12

poster ASqueakingInTheShrubbery

My dd was off school for a week after she had the vaccine, every member of my family got the flu, including my mum who had the jab.

MrsArthurDent Tue 19-Sep-17 19:14:48

Page 13-14 of the vaccine insert www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm294307.pdf for details of shedding studies. In short yes a lot of children shed live virus for the few weeks after vaccination.

TommyandGina Tue 19-Sep-17 21:33:41

An interesting dilemma, can anyone suggest what I/we should do.

I'm immunosuppressed due to psoriatic arthritis, and take methotrexate and cimzia, both which lower the immune system. DS is 15, has cp and is quadraplegic, does eat normal food but is prone to aspirating. Should he have the live nasal spray, that's much easier to administer, or the jab. I'm on my own with him if that's of any consequence

Girliefriendlikesflowers Tue 19-Sep-17 22:30:06

My dd ended up in ITU entirely due to flu, she went from being a healthy 10yo at school on Monday, high temp Wed to her throat swelling so badly she was ventilated by Friday.

Please do vaccinate your children, the thought that what dd (and us as a family) went through could have been prevented is heart breaking.

Neverwasapancakegi7l Tue 19-Sep-17 23:42:42

Ds had it last year and was ill for about a week. It could have been coincidence but it's the first time he's had a temperature since he was a toddler (8 now) and he didn't eat for about three days. He wasn't sick, he just had no appetite and he was off school for three or four days as had no energy and just lay on the sofa looking pale and complaining of a headache. Like I say, could have been coincidence and it's still better than proper flu.
He's not in the age group to be vaccinated now so I'm in two minds as to whether or not to pay for it...

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 19-Sep-17 23:47:04

Tommy I think Id go with the jab. You are probably also eligible, but check with your gp if you haven't already.

Niccelia Tue 19-Sep-17 23:47:05

We were in a trial area so DC have been having it for nearly 5 years and will have it again this year. We love a vaccine wink

Niccelia Tue 19-Sep-17 23:47:50

Actually I take that back, DD isn't having the HVP one shock and it felt very strange saying no. But we love all the other ones

MaitlandGirl Tue 19-Sep-17 23:51:32

I forgot to arrange DD2s flu vaccine this year and she's had 4 weeks off school with flu. This 4 weeks were the last 4 weeks of school before her yr11 exams (AS level equivalent).

She's booked in for her flu jab for next year already.

JassyRadlett Tue 19-Sep-17 23:55:03

We've had it for the last few years for DS1 and it's been fine. I think DS2 will be eligible this year which will be brilliant. DH and I both get the jab via our works.

My family are in Australia and most of them caught the current strain - they are usually healthy folk. It was really nasty.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 20-Sep-17 00:03:56

The nurse I saw last week said it's been an awful flu season in Aus.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Wed 20-Sep-17 00:11:01

Yes I will be 'letting' them. And it can't come quickly enough. We all have asthma and after having been hospitalised myself, with pneumonia, more than once after a bout of 'just' a cold, I do not want any of us to catch flu. It might work, it might not, but it's the best option available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now