Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temperature for 5 days that won't go down

(48 Posts)
YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 21:53:22

My dd is 28 months. She's had a temp for 5 days now. Called 111 second day as she was looking very ill. They decided ambulance was needed. Hospital said she's probably got virus. Sent us home. Today she woke up absolutely shivering. A little longer she would have had a seizure I think. Called ambulance they came and said her lips looks slightly blue tinged too. But put it down virus as she was given calpol and her temp went down while they were here. But I still feel something is not quiet right. Should I go to GP in the morning. We are going away for a week to Haven in Dorset tomorrow as well. Really worried as to what to do. Anyone had anything like this ?

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-Aug-17 21:57:51

How high is her temp? How is she in herself now?

QueenNefertitty Sun 20-Aug-17 22:01:25

I don't have any medical qualifications at all- but has anyone checked for pneumonia? Symptoms can hide quite well in smaller kids I believe - and there isn't always a cough.

Trust your instincts always- if you still feel she isn't well, take her to OOH or GP in the morning. If she REALLY doesn't look right, A&E. Nobody minds seeing a sick baby- even if it's just for reassurance.

I've taken DS to a&e twice in his first 8 months with v high fevers (over 40) that wouldnt come down with calpol, and a general feeling of unease on my part- and both times they admitted him without hesitation (both times just viral infections, thankfully).

mineofuselessinformation Sun 20-Aug-17 22:02:06

Are you alternating paracetomol and ibuprofen?

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:02:40

She's going up to 39.5 and during the high temp she gets a little tired and wants to lay down but not too bad. Otherwise drinking well eating not too good. But I'm not pushing her on that. fluids are more important ATM I think. She's still up and about playing. But right on que soon as her calpol wares off her temp is up.

DancingLedge Sun 20-Aug-17 22:04:40

Why not get Drs appointment before you go?
Just to be on safe side, and so you'll worry less.

highinthesky Sun 20-Aug-17 22:06:46

I don't like the sound of this at all. The problem is, children can deteriorate fast. Do all you can to eliminate spikes in temperature, monitor DD's pulse and respiratory rate (fast and shallow is a cause for concern). And as QueenNef says, trust your instinct. You know your child better than any medic.

In your position I would delay the start of the holiday until DD is on the mend.

missjulia Sun 20-Aug-17 22:07:20

When you say her lips were blue tinged, does she seem quite short of breath?

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:12:53

When we went it a&e they checked her ears and throat and chest. All clear. Ambulance crew checked her pulse and did eeg. All clear. She has absolutely no other symptoms. No coughs or cold. She is sweating a lot when her temp goes down and after her nap today she woke up with her temp spiked and it looked like she had bucket of water thrown on her. She was that sweaty.

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-Aug-17 22:14:09

Did they test her urine?

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:15:00

No shortness of breath.
The only thing they didn't check was her urine. But she's not potty trained and couldn't get her to go at the hospital.

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-Aug-17 22:15:58

I think you need to get a urine sample

missjulia Sun 20-Aug-17 22:18:10

I would definitely get her seen again. I don't want to be alarmist but does sound symptomatic of pneumonia, which can be easily missed in children so young.

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:19:04

Yes I think her urine needs to be checked. Just not sure how I will collect it. When her nappy is off she will hold it for ages then go to a corner and do her business. Have to watch her like a hawk for hours. sad

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-Aug-17 22:19:11

Also you can get silent pneumonia which can't be heard with a stethoscope. Ds had that.

Haudyerwheesht Sun 20-Aug-17 22:19:52

Yep you literally have to follow them around constantly until you get a sample. You can get bags which go inside the nappy but my kids hated them.

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:20:01

Oh really ? Never even crossed my mind it could be pneumonia.

MillieMoodle Sun 20-Aug-17 22:20:06

Is she still weeing as usual? Is her skin mottled or bluish?

Honestly I'd be tempted to take her to A&E and say you're still really worried.

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:21:17

I will definitely call for emergency Appointment in the morning. Or should I got to a&e now ? I'm worried.

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:22:17

Her skin is normal. But her hands and feet to get cold while the rest of her body stays warm when her fever is at its highest.

YouRat Sun 20-Aug-17 22:23:23

Yes. Still weeing as normal.

missjulia Sun 20-Aug-17 22:24:25

If her temp is spiking as soon as calpol wears off then I think it means it is only really masking it, if you know what I mean? And if it has been persistently as high as 39 for 5 days I'd be a bit concerned that there was an underlying infection of some sort.

QueenNefertitty Sun 20-Aug-17 22:24:33

@rat - if you're worried, better safe than sorry. Me personally? I'd pop along to a&e - If she's fine then you've had a midnight adventure, and nobody will think badly of you for taking in a child with her history for peace of mind. If she isn't well then you're in the right place.

highinthesky Sun 20-Aug-17 22:25:40

How are you measuring her temp? Oral / rectal / axillary?

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 20-Aug-17 22:26:59

There is a rare illness that can affect young children called Kawasaki disease. One of the symptoms is a fever that lasts over five days. Other symptoms include red eyes, sore throat, dry cracked lips, a red rash, red skin on the palms of hands and soles of feet, swollen glands in neck. It is rare and so doctors don't always think of it. I think if I were you I would be inclined to have her checked again tomorrow and ask the Dr specifically about Kawasaki disease. It's unlikely to be this but as it's gone on for a while I think it's best to make sure. Most children recover completely with treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now