Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Moluscum contagiosum - how to get rid of spots!

(18 Posts)
Flyingovertheocean Wed 02-Aug-17 22:43:52

Any tips??? Ds1, age 5, has had the flipping spots for 6 months. He swims twice a week. Doc said not to keep him off swimming, and NICE guidance says he can go swimming. But I'm getting funny looks from other mums. He's had the spots for 6 months!!!

Help!!!

Avebury Wed 02-Aug-17 22:55:25

Silver spray worked for us where everything else had failed.

Neeko Wed 02-Aug-17 22:59:33

Molludab (from Amazon) worked for us after about ten days.

sm40 Wed 02-Aug-17 23:21:22

Another one for molludab. Our gp prescribed it when I requested it.

gybegirl Wed 02-Aug-17 23:24:26

Third vote for molludab. If a spot looks infected go see the doc straight away.

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 02-Aug-17 23:24:49

They go on their own eventually. The individual spots don't last that long, but because new ones appear the total time a child has the spots can be many months. It is awkward if you are getting funny looks but they are harmless and very common in young children.

EssexCat Wed 02-Aug-17 23:25:34

Molludab definitely. I bought it off amazon in desperation when my DS had MC for over a year without any improvement.

Worked really quickly and stopped his sister getting more than 4 or 5.

Flyingovertheocean Thu 03-Aug-17 21:33:01

Thank u so so much! Just looked up molludab on Amazon (£21...!!!!! aaaggghh!!) and will order some asap!! Will post back if it works!! wink

iMatter Thu 03-Aug-17 21:42:31

It took 3 years for ds2 to get rid of it.

We tried everything.

His back, shoulders and underarms are covered in the molluscum holes.

Wallywobbles Thu 03-Aug-17 22:42:55

Our GP cut them off. It took 6 weeks for them to heal.

KatoPotato Thu 03-Aug-17 23:20:49

With ds we found the 'queen' and once it looked ready to go, we popped it and removed the 'pearl' inside. After this the whole lot cleared up.

Apparently the infection is so low level that the body doesn't know to figh it. Only aggravating the 'queen' will prompt the body to react.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 07-Aug-17 14:21:07

ds(13) had them last year for 10 months, but they cleared up eventually on their own after GP said to leave them alone. Encourage not to scratch or they will spread, if any burst or leak cover with a plaster until they crust up. They will be much worse before they get better.

His cleared up last November, he's got friends here who slept over last night, lots of wrestling and sharing beds. I've just noticed one of them has it (one was itchy/burst) and gave him plasters. Will need to give the mum the news when she picks them up later and hope none of the rest of them have caught it.

ds is panicking about getting it again as he had a particularly nasty one that got infected (his whole arm was hot/red/sore) and needed adult strength doses of two antibiotics at the same time to eventually clear it, he still has a huge purple scar in his arm.

I'm not sure if he got again if I would try a invasive method to try to get rid of sooner as I heard there is a risk of scarring. He had some huge spots, but the only one the scarred was the infected one.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 07-Aug-17 14:34:56

.....And I'm convinced ds caught it from the swimming pool, they were going to funswims a lot at the time with the big inflatables you climb on/hug to stay on. So while swimming is ok I would avoid any toys/float sharing.

The recommendations are you shouldn't swim with open wounds/sores, molluscum is no exception to this, when there are burst spots as you can catch an infection.

Speckledtulip Mon 07-Aug-17 14:37:06

I put apple cider vinegar in the bath every night and the spots started to go. I saw it on some natural remedies site. Could have been coincidence but worth a try!

Silvertap Mon 07-Aug-17 14:37:15

Watching with interest as we've been struggling with this too.

Have had for about 5 months now

SnowBallsAreHere Mon 07-Aug-17 14:42:39

DD had it on top of eczema. She was so itchy and unhappy. We started her on Thuja tablets asap, after seeing it recommended on here. The spots she had dried up and no more appeared. We were also using steroid creams and lots of moisturiser at the time, so really could have been that too.

Silvertap Mon 07-Aug-17 19:36:20

I've just ordered the molludab

Nette50 Fri 20-Oct-17 08:42:50

I joined this morning so I can share what feels like a miracle to us. My son (21) suddenly contracted this horrible virus around 5 months ago. Nothing was working - we have continued the cider vinegar, T trea - they helped. He went to Uni 4 weeks ago - so depressed with this awful scabby scaly rash that he couldn't stop picking! 2 weeks ago I spent all night researching. I came across Neem. You can buy it in powder or in leaf or in table form. I told him to boil the leaves for 10 minutes, strain and wash in that water every day, you can add to the bath (I'm not sure if he's done this tbh). He has been taking the tablets each day - after 3 days he said it seemed to be drying up. 2 weeks on and I can't tell you how happy it makes me - he skyped me to show me. It seems to be completely fading. Look, I don't know. It could be some inexplicable reason but this is the last thing we tried, 2 weeks ago! I was telling my friend about it an she says she puts Neem in her horses food for health. I joined just this morning to tell you. Anybody who has or has witnessed this will know why I just had to join Mumsnet this morning, before going to work! I wanted to share this!!! Good luck xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now