Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 month old not crawling, scooting, walking or pulling self up

(14 Posts)
CanThisWait Thu 06-Jul-17 19:15:52

My DS is 11 months old and the only physical way he can sort of get about is by rolling. He won't sit up from lying down, he doesn't army crawl or scoot on his bum. He doesn't bear much weight on his legs with me holding him, and even when he does he doesn't lie his foot flat to the floor (always on tip toe)

The health visitor saw him at 9 months old and said if he hadn't improved by 12 months that she'd be looking at a development delay. Just wondering if others had experience of this? Or is DS within normal range? My elder DS is autistic but hit all his physical milestones quite early on!

NuffSaidSam Thu 06-Jul-17 19:42:18

He is a bit late with some of his milestones I think. Not massively late, but I would expect him to be making some attempt to crawl/scoot/army crawl his way along and be able to sit up from lying down.

Can he sit up unsupported? If he falls, does he just lie there until you pick him up again or does he attempt to get up?

What's he like in other ways? Does he babble? point? wave?

I would try not to worry, but I would follow up with the health visitor if he hasn't made big progress by 12 months. It can take ages to get seen so it's always worth getting the ball rolling and then is he suddenly starts doing everything a week later you can just cancel the appointment.

TTCKatie Thu 06-Jul-17 19:45:52

My now 2.5 year old son was just the same and eventually started crawling at 13 months so don't worry! He rolled like your DS but also didn't bear weight on his legs or scoot. At 12 months a special education needs assessor was called in to nursery to see him as he'd hit the 12 month deadline for not crawling - a couple of weeks after this he was off. I found it stressful having him assessed and seeing all his baby friends crawling around but now you would never know he was 'slow' to get moving. I now have a 10 month old daughter who is just the same and not moving at all - it must be in the genes. This time I am much more relaxed about it and I know she'll get there in her own time. Don't let the HV worry you, they are just ticking boxes and measuring against milestones that don't apply to everyone. This time I'm trying to enjoy my DD not crawling and causing chaos like her friends already are!

TTCKatie Thu 06-Jul-17 19:49:09

My now 2.5 year old son was just the same and eventually started crawling at 13 months so don't worry! He rolled like your DS but also didn't bear weight on his legs or scoot. At 12 months a special education needs assessor was called in to nursery to see him as he'd hit the 12 month deadline for not crawling - a couple of weeks after this he was off. I found it stressful having him assessed and seeing all his baby friends crawling around but now you would never know he was 'slow' to get moving. I now have a 10 month old daughter who is just the same and not moving at all - it must be in the genes. This time I am much more relaxed about it and I know she'll get there in her own time. Don't let the HV worry you, they are just ticking boxes and measuring against milestones that don't apply to everyone. This time I'm trying to enjoy my DD not crawling and causing chaos like her friends already are!

irregularegular Thu 06-Jul-17 19:51:23

My daughter didn't crawl until 13 months or walk until 19m. Wasn't weight bearing at all until well over 12 months either. I don't really remember when, but she went very quickly from weight bearing to walking. Nobody raised any real concerns at the time as far as I remember.

She's totally "normal" now, though has never been very sporty. She did have hip problems as a result of being breech and wore a hip harness until she was about 6m, so possibly that may have slowed her down. But again, nobody mentioned that at the time.

I don't think you need worry just yet.

Zebrasinpyjamas Thu 06-Jul-17 19:52:26

My 13 month old isn't crawling or pulling up to stand. There has been a bit of crawling practice in the last 2 weeks. The HV is going to refer us for physio if there is no signs of progress (vs the actions on our 10 month questionnaire /assessment) in a month's time.

CanThisWait Thu 06-Jul-17 20:15:11

If he falls he'll just lie there or roll over onto his front. He is saying 'mama' and 'dada' to the right one of us and he's SO cheerful, he's just doing much physically.
He has loads of floor time, uses a jumperoo but just kinda sits in it rather than bounces if that makes sense?

recklessgran Thu 06-Jul-17 20:19:13

Don't worry OP. I have 5DDS all different. DD5 was still laying flat on her back at 11 months. Didn't even show any interest in sitting up. Fast forward three months and she was up and running about. Played sport at County level and has just qualified as a nurse with a first! So the message is that they're all different and you will know in your heart if something is wrong. [Like to bet nothing wrong at all!]

cestlavielife Fri 07-Jul-17 21:38:28

Get him assessed by a physio

If should refer to community paed physio
By the time you get the appt you will know he needs input or not

rvge Thu 27-Jul-17 15:33:06

My DGD only rolled until 13 months. She could weight bear but couldn't get from lying down to the sitting position and couldn't pull herself up. She walked at 21 months. She has been diagnosed with hypermobility and has physio and insoles in her shoes. She is now five and probably not as fast as her class mates physically but academically is in the top two or three in the class.

BumWad Sun 30-Jul-17 19:31:40

DS didn't sit up till 9 months (needed putting in that position couldn't do it himsel), crawled at 14 months and started walking at 21 months.

I was told as long as they weight bear they get there eventually.

foxyfemke Mon 31-Jul-17 19:57:30

My son didn't crawl until 13 months and we saw a physio who has been great in developing his gross motorskills. I wouldn't worry too much.

CanThisWait Mon 14-Aug-17 10:45:07

Just want to give an update!
DS is now 1, he's starting a vague impression of an army crawl, but still not baring weight, pulling self up, moving from lying to sitting or bouncing.

GP has just referred him to the development delay team and said they may give him some scans to check everything is okay. He has a dimple on his back, but we were told it was okay at birth but she wants to double check!
Also his leg dimples are now uneven (right is higher than left) so that needs checking too x

cakeandteajustforme Wed 01-Nov-17 13:05:33

Hi would you be able to update please? Having similar concerns about my nearly 11 month old and would love to know how it’s going for your LO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now