Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Unilateral hearing loss in 4 year old

(3 Posts)
ThisOneNoThatOne Tue 04-Jul-17 07:11:31

Hello,

My 4 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with profound unilateral hearing loss.

She had meningitis last year so I know her hearing had been damaged, but we thought she had some hearing in that ear so we've just been waiting for a hearing aid. However her recent tests showed she has no hearing at all in her that ear so a hearing aid won't work.

I'm feeling really sad for her- I don't want her to struggle though school, making friends etc. Does anyone else have any experience of this type of hearing loss, any advice?

Thank you

Rumdoodler1 Tue 04-Jul-17 08:10:00

Hi
I am completely deaf in one ear and have been since childhood.

For the most part it has really made very little difference. I have trained my friends to walk on my hearing side and try to sit where I won't have people on the deaf side. I also make sure to tell people if I'm in a situation where it might be a problem.

The main difficulties I have (and they aren't big difficulties!) are that I struggle to tell what direction sound is coming from and I probably find it more difficult to hear conversation in very noisy environments (but school wasn't a problem).

I hope that is some reassurance.

ThisOneNoThatOne Tue 04-Jul-17 11:44:46

Thank you rum, that's reassuring to know. I'm hoping that as she's so young she'll learn to adapt, as you seem to have done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now