Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this the pox?

(9 Posts)
feedmewinenow Tue 27-Jun-17 12:41:26

5 little spots on tummy and a couple on legs but just little blemishes/spots and then this appears on his top chest?

Does it look like we finally have Chicken pox?

If it is the pox...how long am I looking at having to keep him off nursery? And any ideas on how to tell for definite...he's gone for his nap so I've counted the spots, would I expect to see more when he wakes?

Thanks in advance...just trying to get organised in case it is! No temperature but clingy and generally like his arse grin

Anatidae Tue 27-Jun-17 12:44:47

Could be. If they fill with fluid, burst and crust it probably is. Could be hfm too.
He's infectious until the LAST spot has crusted. Since it's impossible really to tell when that is, err on the side of caution.
Keep him home - chickenpox can be lethal to the immoncompromised, foetuses etc.
Clinpox is quite good for the spots as is that weird green stuff if you have any Eastern European /Russian family who can get some for you.

feedmewinenow Tue 27-Jun-17 12:49:25

For now the others are just blemishes/spots but this is filled with clear liquid. I'll keep on spot watch and see if the others fill with liquid.

Thanks for the tips! We currently only have an ancient bottle of calamine so will try your recommendations smile

Anatidae Tue 27-Jun-17 12:57:45

Calamine is good! Can't get it where I live...

Hope he gets an easy ride of it - all the usual rest/fluids advice applies. Oatmeal baths can help as well (pulverise oats in the blender, place in old sock, run under tap into bath. )

If at any point he has a very high fever, spots in / near his eyes, nose or mouth, or any symptoms you find concerning then call for advice. Otherwise it's just waiting it out at home. Poor thing.

Missmiller Tue 27-Jun-17 15:24:28

Yes that blister looks very much pox like. X

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 27-Jun-17 15:27:31

Yip, definitely looks like the pox. My baby had 2 like that for 3 days before being covered in them. Kept her isolated for 8 days in total until the last one has crusted over. Ds was about 6 days till crusted over, from first spot appearing.

BandeauSally Tue 27-Jun-17 15:31:10

Does anyone else think syphilis when they hear "the pox"? I didnt realise anyone referred to chicken pox as the pox!

feedmewinenow Tue 27-Jun-17 16:19:08

Just plain old chicken pox I'm afraid! grinI've always just called it the pox due to the lack of small pox and syphillis (as far as I know!!) around here!

I've discovered a whole new batch in his hair so I think it must be. He's got a very paltry collection currently but we've dabbed with calamine and will await the rest of them! Here's hoping it's a mild case (and secretly rubbing hands with glee at time off work!)

Millie2013 Tue 27-Jun-17 21:31:04

Virasoothe (plus piriton) is fab, DD had CP last week and hardly scratched

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now