Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollwn eyelid

(11 Posts)
Taylor33 Sun 25-Jun-17 12:25:30

Hi,

My dd (3) has had a swollen and red eyelid since yesterday afternoon. It isn't injured or stung. Seen out of hours doc this morning who said it looks like a blocked gland and to wipe it with warm water and cotton wool pads. He did say it could stay blocked for a while. Anyone with any experience of this and how long it takes to go down?

Thanks a lot smile

Confutatis Sun 25-Jun-17 21:54:43

Yes, my son. He's older but it's the same thing alright. My family are medical and gave the same advice. It can take a long time to go away but if you stick with it it really should go in a week or so (could be sooner, I guess, age 3?) and it's nothing to worry about.

Taylor33 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:10:55

Thank you very much for your advice and reassurance smile

SusannahD Mon 26-Jun-17 21:26:25

Is he poorly in any other way? Does he have a temperature?

SusannahD Mon 26-Jun-17 21:30:47

Is it both eyes or one?

IwillrunIwillfly Mon 26-Jun-17 22:01:42

Keep an eye on it and if its getting worse (more red, puffy or swollen) get it checked again incase its an early periorbital cellulitis. Unlikely but worth keeping an eye on!

Taylor33 Mon 26-Jun-17 23:46:24

No she's not poorly in any other way and no temperature. She has had a runny nose for a week or so though which is clearing up now. The white of her eye and the eye itself is absolutely normal. It is just the one eye at the moment x

SusannahD Tue 27-Jun-17 06:53:07

Keep an eye on her for cellulitis, my son had cellulitis but was poorly with it.

Taylor33 Tue 27-Jun-17 08:57:13

Thanks. I have booked another appt for this morning as it is a little more swollen.

Taylor33 Tue 27-Jun-17 13:17:43

Thanks for your advice everyone. The gp today did in fact say it could be cellulitis and has prescribed antibiotics x

Taylor33 Tue 27-Jun-17 14:59:17

totally unrelated to her eye, but thought I would ask being as I am here.

She also has a little bruise on the side of her stomach which looks like she has walked into the corner of a table at school or something similar. It is sore to prod. Beneath the bruise is a littl gristly/ hard bit. Is this normal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now