Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Giving eye drops post surgery

(1 Post)
christinarossetti Thu 22-Jun-17 22:31:30

My 8 year old ds had an eye operation to correct a squint yesterday.

All went well. I now have to give him two lots of eye drops four times a day for four weeks (antibiotic and steroid). So far, I've done six doses which have taken forever, ended up with us both shouting at each other then in tears. I've given him pain relief about 20 mins before, and unsuccessfully encouraged him to put them in himself so that he'd feel more in control. He really, really, really hates it.

I'm hoping that the stinging will reduce over time and it will get easier, but what to do in the meantime? He really doesn't want me to hold his arms down in a bear hug type thing like you do with very young children, and I'd rather not do that too, but I don't know what else to do.

I called the ward this morning, and was advised that they're very important and that he needs to have them (yes, I know, that's why I'm calling).

Any tips? Would it be worth asking the practice nurse at the GP? I don't think either of us can do 4 weeks of this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now