Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Infant formula help

(12 Posts)
tickitybo Wed 21-Jun-17 19:57:03

Hi there ladies I have a 7 week old baby who started off on sma gold but after 5 weeks I was changed to similiac alimemtum due to pooping up to 10 times a day with at least 6 of them containing mucus anyway after being on that for just over 24hrs I had to take her off it as she was crying with every mouthful as if she was in a great deal of pain since then she has been in aptimal comfort she is much more settled but my problem is she is still pooping with every feed and there very watery she is also more bokey which also seems mucusy
Has anyone else's baby's been like this?

tickitybo Thu 22-Jun-17 11:05:42

Bump

mrsnec Thu 22-Jun-17 11:20:09

Well I would say that you're better off getting proper medical advice but when mine were on aptamil comfort I was told to just give it once a day in the morning and normal aptamil the rest of the time.

Might not work for you but could be worth a try. A professional opinion would be best though but that seemed to work for mine and I have no idea why.

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Thu 22-Jun-17 20:00:56

Where you put on similiac alimemtum by a doctor? Do they know you have come off it? My understanding is that is a prescription formula so you should speak to the GP or go back to using what they put you on. It takes a while for ch. to get used to milk but there would be a reason they prescribed it. I may have the wrong milk, but either way you need someone to guide you with this.
Has there been any other health problems or weight problems?

Inneedofadvice20172234 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:44:41

You need to go back to gp.

tickitybo Fri 23-Jun-17 01:58:26

She was prescribed it by doctor who said I would see an instant improvement which I didn't so I went with my gut and took her off it and spoke to doctor next day who said I did the right thing as clearly it didn't agree with her
She had no other health/weight problems only what had been mentioned above
She is currently been referred to the peds team as doctor has no idea what could be causing this so that is why I have turned here to see if any other mummy's have been in the same situation

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:07:28

Is she putting on weight though?

Have you had the heel prick test and results back clear? I'm sure it's most like a stomach problem and not to worry you but there are a few nasty diseases that can cause mucus poo. Push for paed appointment to be sooner rather than later.

You can do a quick test for cystic fibrosis yourself by licking her skin - if it tastes salty go back to gp asap

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:11:45

And also sorry I don't mean to open a can of worms but do you have any breastmilk still? This would be the best thing for her if allergies etc. if you struggled to bf you might still be able to pump some and feed her in bottle? Breastmilk is so much kinder on stomach than formula.

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 09:13:17

And lastly - how much are you feeding her?

tickitybo Fri 23-Jun-17 11:32:04

Yeah she putting on weight in fact they were surprised how much she has put on
Yip heal prick done all came back clear
Did try and bf but got mastitis and stopped but will try and pump don't think there anything there if I keep pumping will it increase? The mucus in her poo has gone but it still really runny but her sick has mucus in it, at the minute she's on aptamil comfort was going to wean her onto the normal aptamil to see if that helped

tickitybo Fri 23-Jun-17 11:33:10

She's feeding every 3-4 hours except at night as she's sleeping right through and just moved her up to 6oz bottles

Inneedofadvice20172234 Fri 23-Jun-17 13:46:30

Oh mastitis is awful. Not sure if you would still get milk - maybe pump and see? If you can get Anything it's perfectly possible to build up your supply again slowly but realistically you are unlikely to get more than a bottle or two if any. It was just a thought.
If she's putting on weight that's good. My only thought would be maybe she's a bit over fed? Pooing after every feed does show good milk intake - don't cut down though without discussing with your dr first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now