Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fracture care on holiday

(11 Posts)
cafcesque Fri 16-Jun-17 20:07:32

So just back from a&e with toddlers arm now in plaster cast.
We are going on holiday next Thursday to a resort with 4 pools deliberately picked to have swimming. What can we do to still enjoy the holiday but avoid soggy cast?

Also I've never had a cast. What issues might she have? She's already trying to take it off. She's 21 months so difficult to explain it to her.

dementedpixie Fri 16-Jun-17 20:14:53

You can get cast covers. Don't know if they will survive a pool. Dd had one she wore in the shower (for her leg)

Iwannasnack Fri 16-Jun-17 20:16:03

Have you checked you can fly? Have a feeling you can't with a cast on

dementedpixie Fri 16-Jun-17 20:16:37

this says it can be used for swimming

Iwannasnack Fri 16-Jun-17 20:18:42

Actually you can fly after 48 hours. Sorry!! I'll keep quiet now!

cafcesque Fri 16-Jun-17 20:50:42

Thanks dementedpixie, i will get one of those. (and thanks Iwannasnack i was getting panicky for a moment).

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 16-Jun-17 20:51:05

A cast is very hot - if you're going somewhere hit just beware that she will be prone to heat rash inside the cast

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Jun-17 21:10:42

The Limbo cast covers are the best (I was in plaster for a year in total) and really can be fully submerged.

It will be hot and itchy in the cast - do not be tempted under any circumstance to stick anything down it. A hair dryer on cool will help though

dementedpixie Fri 16-Jun-17 21:16:08

Dd had a limbo one but don't think they are suitable for pool use

Thomasthechick123 Fri 16-Jun-17 21:24:03

Hi, we are just back from a week abroad with a 4year on old in full arm cast. I'd recommend the bloccs cast covers, they are a little tricky to get on but it saved our holiday! My dc was in the pool every day as well as in the sea and his cast stayed dry.

Only thing I'd say is if you leave it on for longer than an hour or so it can get a bit sweaty underneath!

Also phone your airline as you may need a fit to fly letter, but most say as long as it's 48 hours old it's ok.

beautifulgirls Fri 16-Jun-17 21:45:31

Pretty sure DD had a bloccs cast cover on her arm and she swam on holiday with it quite a bit and used it in the bath regularly too and never a leak. We did use a small amount of talc rubbed onto it to help keep it in good condition after patting dry and air drying, helps to get it on more easily too as not quite so "sticky" over time. She also gets a lot of contact reactions to things she touches on her skin but this cover never caused any problems for her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: