Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old broken foot - cast?

(5 Posts)
Bailey86 Tue 13-Jun-17 22:56:37

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what sort of cast would be put on a child that would be a full weight bearing cast? My son fractured one of his metatarsals 12 days ago, initially it was diagnosed as a sprain and then the fracture was missed on the X-ray. He's still not able to walk as he says it hurts, so a cast was suggested today to go on tomorrow for 3 weeks. Can anyone explain what they would put on him? The doctor said he will be able to walk and run on it but it says plaster. Do I need to make some sort of allowance for him walking outside if it needs to stay dry? Thanks in advance!

MrsBadger Wed 14-Jun-17 13:44:04

It sounds like it'll be a fibreglass weight bearing one - even that will need to stay dry though. Ask for a boot/sandal thing at the fracture clinic, and get onto Limbo for a waterproof thing so he can have a bath, and they do a Sealskinz waterproof sock thing to go over it outdoors too.

Bailey86 Wed 14-Jun-17 13:53:39

Thank you, that's really helpful

Moreisnnogedag Wed 14-Jun-17 17:37:09

He may get a soft cast with a shoe - it's a type of plaster that can get wet.

Bailey86 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:24:43

He's got a fibreglass cast on and given him a little boot thing aswell, I'm assuming he can walk around without the boot on too though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now