Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice & Experience from Mums of Children with Epilepsy

(1 Post)
cep5 Fri 09-Jun-17 00:27:17

Hello everyone!

My own mom used to own nurseries and, when I asked her where to go for this research, she recommended I go nowhere other than Mumsnet, so here I am.

I am researching a marketing assignment for a growing company which produces wearable technology specifically for people with epilepsy. The technology is small, comfortable and reads small physiological signs on the wearer to make a log of tremors or seizures which happen throughout the day, all of which are logged on its downloadable smartphone app, and, if it detects a dangerous level of activity, it automatically alerts an emergency contact (a parent, for a child) to reduce the amount of time before first action is made.

My assignment is to look into promoting and spreading awareness of this technology to mums and their children and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions? smile

- Does your child currently wear a medical alert band or something similar? Was there any resistance to wearing it? If so, how did you overcome this?
- Does wearing said band or technology reveal a stigma at school or with friends?
- Is there any technology or epilepsy-related product which has changed your child's life significantly enough that you would recommend it to others? If so, how did you come across this product?
- And lastly, for anyone who is a skeptic of technology such as this, why would that be? What would help your concerns?

If you have a couple minutes free, I'd be incredibly grateful if I could get your thoughts - this technology is new, seeks to put a parent's mind at ease and we're looking into the best ways to make it more accessible and known smile

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now