Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox more than once?

(11 Posts)
StripeyCurtains Sun 04-Jun-17 13:03:34

DS has a rash that looks exactly like chicken pox to me. He had it once when a toddler. He's 11 now. I thought you could only get it once.

Anyone else had it twice?

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 04-Jun-17 13:04:24

Yep, DS had it twice.

insancerre Sun 04-Jun-17 13:05:28

You can get it more than once, especially if the first dose was very mild and as ababy
It's also ossicle that it was never chicken pox the first time around as lots of illnesses look similar

StripeyCurtains Sun 04-Jun-17 13:10:31

It was definitely CP the first time round as other DC had it two weeks before.

What other illnesses look similar?

dementedpixie Sun 04-Jun-17 13:17:02

If the spots are localised in one area then it could be shingles

StripeyCurtains Sun 04-Jun-17 13:19:37

All over the torso at the moment. Front and back.

ThisToo Sun 04-Jun-17 13:32:58

DS1 (10) had chickenpox for a second time at Easter when DS2 caught it for the first time. We confidently told DS1 not to worry as he'd already had it, only for him to end up covered in the rash (only his head, palms of his hands and soles of his feet were spot free) a week after DS2 was first ill. He was much more unwell this time, I'm sorry to say, although he didn't have it particularly mildly the first time either!

Bumbumtaloo Sun 04-Jun-17 13:35:09

Eldest DD has had them twice.

First time approx 10/11 spots and fine second time absolutely everywhere and she was quite poorly with it.

tomatopuree Sun 04-Jun-17 13:42:17

My daughter had it 5 times. Each times a decreased amount. She is immunocompromised.

You can get chicken pox as often as it takes to build up immunity to it.

milkjetmum Sun 04-Jun-17 13:45:37

Yep twice here too (both dd). My theory is they both had it the first aged 1-2 it wasnt long after I'd stopped bf so might have had some antibodies from me to help and so didn't get full immunity.

DarthMaiden Sun 04-Jun-17 13:45:50

I had it twice.

Once as a toddler with about 10 spots and then again aged 16 when I was covered with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now