Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lump at front of daughter's neck

(8 Posts)
Judgydog Fri 02-Jun-17 07:21:31

Earlier this week my 10 year old pointed out a lump at the front of her neck roughly where the Adam's apple would be (thyroid gland?). I guess it's about the size of a walnut and she said it's tender to touch. It seems to have now reduced in size slightly though not 100% sure. She says it now doesn't hurt as much. Incidentally, she had an identical thing at least a couple of years back and it totally disappeared after a day or so.

Cause for concern? We're going to book a GP appointment for Monday which we will cancel if it disappears over the weekend.

LittleCandle Fri 02-Jun-17 07:33:09

I would go to the GP anyway. It sounds like her thyroid to me. Its probably nothing serious, as it has happened before, but its better to get her seen.

lamado Fri 02-Jun-17 07:39:01

I found a pea sized lump in the same spot on DS1 when he was 3, it turned out it was a thyroglossal cyst. It would get bigger when he was ill. We were referred to a paediatrician and he had surgery to have it removed. The lump itself was harmless, but they can get bigger.
Definitely go to your GP.

Judgydog Fri 02-Jun-17 08:30:09

Hmm. More pea than walnut this morning so seems to be on way down.....

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Fri 02-Jun-17 11:36:03

I would still get it checked out. Can you take a photo in case it disappears. Is she well in herself?

user1482334903 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:25:59

Hi I have just noticed a hard lump on the back of my theee year old daughters head.

It is hard like bone and just a few inches back from her ear, under her hair. I have checked the other side and there is nothing there. Could this be a lymph node?

It doesn't help that me and my husband have separated this weekend. I am frightened as to what this could be. Anyone had anything similar?

Thanks

user1482334903 Sun 04-Jun-17 21:26:22

Sorry meant to post a new thread

ClamClam Mon 05-Jun-17 12:43:35

It could be a thyroglossal duct cyst - my daughter has one - but it sounds slightly unusual to be reducing in size (having said that, my DD's lump seems to be shrinking (although it's probably just her getting bigger!)) Has your DD has an infection recently? My DD's cyst first appeared when she was about two and suffering with a really bad upper respiratory tract infection.

Did you see the doctor today? How did you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now