Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mystery rash GP stumped

(27 Posts)
Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 17:06:17

My two-year-old son has had this rash five times in the last eight months it starts off as a skin coloured rash and progresses to be red and then purple which do not blanch when pressed. However the whole rash disappears within a week. He does not appear to be ill otherwise. The GP has no idea what it is. This time the rash is in it's usual place on his forehead although he has a few on his arm and a few under his chin and on his scalp.

Soubriquet Thu 01-Jun-17 17:13:39

My Dd had that once!!

All on one shoulder and back.

Suddenly appeared so took her to the doctor. He was stumped so sent us through to the children's ward at hospital. By the time I got there (an hour later) it had gone!!

Fully disappeared. I had snapped a photo of it to show the doctors but again they had no idea either.

It lasted about 4 hours altogether. Never came back though confused

She was never ill or itchy

If my mum hadn't seen it and didn't have that photo, I would have sworn I was imagining things

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 17:16:38

Ah this is itchy and it lasts a week

Soubriquet Thu 01-Jun-17 17:17:16

How odd.

It looks exactly the same but must have been something else

Very random

Has the doctor referred you to anything?

GraciesMansion Thu 01-Jun-17 17:18:23

My dd 9 has had this, just last week, around her mouth. Our doctor was similarly stumped, muttered something about impetigo (it's not impetigo), told me to keep her off school for two days and gave her some antibiotic cream. It's just about all gone now and I'm hoping it doesn't come back since they didn't seem to be able to offer an explanation for it.

StormTreader Thu 01-Jun-17 17:18:36

A bit of a reaction to sweat maybe?

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 17:19:25

No the doctor didn't know what it was but because he isn't ill with it isn't worried. It just looks hideous and as it seems to reoccur every few months starting to be concerned

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 17:26:58

A few more photos

Soubriquet Thu 01-Jun-17 17:28:08

How bizzare

fleur34 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:30:58

My daughter had something very similar and the GP was utterly stumped by it. It went on for months!

We have cats and had recently moved into a new house - it didnt look like flea bites (and i dont think it was) but we defleaed the house and the cats and it seemed to disappear. We knew it was something in our house because the spots disappeared when we went on holiday for a week...

could it be some sort of allergy do you think?? is there something common that happens when the rash comes out?!

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 17:48:47

we have no animals and are currently on holiday and it's still bad. It comes and goes. I'm worried it's a sign of some serious underlying problem

BusterGonad Thu 01-Jun-17 17:53:47

Does he wear a cap? Have you changed his shampoo? What's his bed pillow made from? Does he play with his hair brush and brush his own hair? Have you changed your washing powder? Could he be allergic to any foods? Does he rub his head near you when you are wearing certain jewelry items that he could be allergic too? I'm clutching at straws but it could be something really simple that you've just not noticed.

BusterGonad Thu 01-Jun-17 17:54:45

Could you be kissing his head wearing a certain lipstick which aggravates his skin? Sun lotion maybe?

BusterGonad Thu 01-Jun-17 17:55:30

A perfume you wear on your neck then he snuggles into you?

DoItTooJulia Thu 01-Jun-17 17:56:37

Prickly heat would be my guess. Ds got it for the first time in holiday and it looked just like that. Itchy too.

We found that we had to be really careful with sun exposure, overhearing and using a different suncream (ultra sun was the best in the end).

Hope he's ok.

Greenteandchives Thu 01-Jun-17 17:58:13

It looks a bit like bites I get from tiny black flies called thunder flies, so small you can hardly see them. They always go for the hairline, round the ears etc. Not saying it is that, mind.

picklemepopcorn Thu 01-Jun-17 18:01:00

Heat rash or prickly heat? Clears up with hydrocortisone I think, or maybe antihistamine...

My son got it in his hairline like that whenever he got sweaty. I get it under my arms.

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 18:03:47

My explanation has always been sweat rash too- is this how bad it can.be though?

picklemepopcorn Thu 01-Jun-17 18:05:41

Definitely. It's pernicious, if it stays hot it just gets worse and worse if it isn't treated. We lived in Singapore, though... Maybe here you get enough cool days for it to settle on its own.

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 20:52:28

Thanks

LIZS Thu 01-Jun-17 20:55:43

Dd had something similar on her neck when she had headlice. It was a reaction to their wee/poo.

Missmiller Thu 01-Jun-17 21:16:28

Deffo not headlice.

Booner Sun 04-Jun-17 20:20:09

Is the rash raised? Does it look like small blisters?

mammyoftwo Sun 04-Jun-17 20:21:28

www.nhs.uk/conditions/roseola/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Missmiller Sun 04-Jun-17 20:53:10

Yes it was raised and did look like small blisters. It's fading now although he still has dark purple, nom-blanching marks on his scalp, I'm going to look at the link now too. Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now