Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Temperature in the night

(15 Posts)
Clairelouise91 Thu 01-Jun-17 00:36:01

Hi im a first time mum and my 4 month old has had a temparature tonight after her injections today so im monitoring every 30mins-1hour as its up and down its not too bad as shes in my room so i noticed it however it got me thinking when shes goes into her own room of she gets ill in the night or gets a fever how will i know what if i dont wake up with mummy sense? Is she likely to wake up herself? Any experiences are welcome cant help but worry about things 😞

Clairelouise91 Thu 01-Jun-17 00:37:19

Excuse the spelling its been a long night 😴

JessieMcJessie Fri 02-Jun-17 00:06:13

Following to see if you get any advice. My DS is 9 months old and recently had a gastroenteritis bug. First sign of it was the poor thing vomiting his dinner all over the cot. He's in his own room, fortunately it happened when I was downstairs with the monitor on and I was up there in a flash. He wasn't even properly awake and I have been worried ever since what might have happened if it had been the middle of the night when we were asleep.

I think however that if a baby gets a fever they will wake and cry. If they don't wake from it then the sleep is probably doing them good.

Clairelouise91 Fri 02-Jun-17 03:35:48

Its just so scary isnt it! I try not to worry to much and just enjoy being a mum but its hard sometimes her temp dropped to 35.2 tonight so i rang 111 and they sent me to primary care where i waited for 2 hours after my appointment time for the doctor to say its within the normal range anything below 35 is a worry so now i have one tired little soul better to be safe than sorry though! Im thinking about getting a video monitor might ease my mind a bit x

Vroomster Fri 02-Jun-17 10:11:05

I've always found that they wake up when they're not well. One of mine had a temperature the other night and he woke up himself as he felt miserable (then didn't go back to sleep for another two hours!).

Clairelouise91 Fri 02-Jun-17 11:11:11

Ahh thanks ive only experienced her with a temperature once but she was already awake thanks for your help smile

JessieMcJessie Fri 02-Jun-17 13:09:39

I get low temp readings on my digital ear thermometer all the time. It's usually because it's not pushed in far enough. Never occurred to me to worry about a low one! Another thing to add to the list 😟

Glad you got her checked out and all OK.

MoominFlaps Fri 02-Jun-17 13:11:24

They wake and cry if they're unwell, don't worry.

Clairelouise91 Fri 02-Jun-17 13:36:42

I was using the under arm thermometer from tommee tippie but the doctor said i just use the ear ones but then i read the ear ones arnt great on small babies because thier ears are too small lol thanks for your responses smile

Vroomster Fri 02-Jun-17 13:45:07

Underarms can be a bit positional. I don't know what you've tried but try pointing it straight upwards to get under the armpit rather than sticking out. If that make sense.

Clairelouise91 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:37:47

Ohh okay ill try repositioning next time i get a low temp smile thanks

Starstarbright599 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:50:40

Get a fore head monitor - I've found these to be a bit more reliable.

You don't have to move her until you are ready. There's a lot of pressure on first time mums to move the baby at 6 months but you'll find a lot of second time mums quietly share a room until a lot older. If you've space you can move a cot into your room. Do what you are comfortable with rather what you think you need to do.

When you do move her a video monitor wonderful and I'd def recommend. Also just check on her before you go to bed every night.

An apnoea monitor gave me comfort too because I knew if she'd swallowed her own vomit or something the alarm would go off. Useful for telling when they've climbed out the cot when they're older too!!

Clairelouise91 Fri 02-Jun-17 15:06:31

Oh ive never heard of an apnea monitor i did get a forhead one but i checked it like 5 times straight after each other in the same place and they all read different then it was reading 38 but she felt fine i checked under the arm and she was 36.5( which is normal for her) so im returning it as its not that accurate for me thanks for the advice

Starstarbright599 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:16:31

Google angel care monitors - they are expensive but can offer peace of mind

pancakesunday Fri 02-Jun-17 16:27:37

Probably terrible advice but I used to sleep on the floor in the same room if my DS was poorly & I was worried as I wouldn't have had much sleep anyway if I was in a different room. Generally though he would wake up if he was poorly & i'd hear him. I found I sleep a lot lighter since having him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now