We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this chicken pox?

(24 Posts)
Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 11:48:39

Is this the start of chicken pox?

emochild Mon 29-May-17 11:51:23

Looks suspiciously like

Are there any spots on the torso? -that's usually where it starts

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 11:52:48

Yep

Keep an eye out. More will form over the next few days

Dd's started on her back (only discovered at bath time)

Ds's started with a spot like that on his face, but no more until Wednesday when they suddenly started coming out in force

Wheresthattomoibabber Mon 29-May-17 11:54:32

Yep. DS2 started like that and within an hour was covered.

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 11:56:20

None on torso yet, when is the period where she is contagious? It's very dangerous for my husband to be around chicken pox, she was also around a newborn baby 2 days ago should I tell it's mother?

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 11:57:15

Yes

She is contagious before the spots appear (can be infected up to two weeks before spots appear) to when they scab over

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 29-May-17 11:57:36

It's contagious until the spots crust over and yes, you should let the baby's mother know.

Snap8TheCat Mon 29-May-17 11:59:56

Contagious period is two days before rash until the last one has scabbed over and the incubation period is 10-21 days so those affected won't show for a little while.

Vinorosso74 Mon 29-May-17 12:03:06

I would tell the baby's mother as you are contagious just before the spots come out until the spots have dried. Incubation period is about 2 weeks.
Buy some Poxclin ready to put on the spots! Is fabulous (I speak from experience using it on me as DD and I had it at the same time). Really cools and soothes the itchy feeling, isn't messy and no scars.

shesabrick Mon 29-May-17 12:05:25

Looks like it, although would expect them on torso. If you can find a chemist today get Poxclin mousse. Bit expensive but really soothes the itch when it gets bad. Also make sure piriton and calpol stocked up. Bicarbonate or oats in bath also good.

As others said most infectious 2 days before spots until last one crusted so definitely tell friend and get DH checked out if exposure dangerous for him.

With my DD days were ok but nights were miserable. Good luck flowers

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 12:12:01

Oh no this is not going to be a fun half term week

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 12:12:27

I think my dh might have to move out for a few days, but how long?

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 12:13:14

Could be worse

We've been suffering for 3 weeks now

Dd had it first and now Ds has it. I expect another week at least out of Ds but Dd's are nearly all gone now

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 12:22:12

Luckily my sons already had it, his was very bad and lasted about 3 weeks too, just worried about my husband being around it

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 12:32:56

I'm sure I read somewhere they immuno compromised people can be given anti virals if exposed to chicken pox

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 12:37:27

Oh really I'll have to get my husband to look into that then, I don't think I can be stuck at home the whole half term without his help!

EweAreHere Mon 29-May-17 12:41:42

Are they on his torso? That's where they usually start.

TBH, they look like bites to me...

sycamore54321 Mon 29-May-17 12:46:39

Have you anyone from an older generation who can safely take a look (grandparent /neighbour, etc)? My friend who is a GP says she always asks this when she gets a phone call about chicken pox as the rash is quite distinctive and if granny thinks it is chicken pox, it invariably is.

In an abundance of caution, I'd ring the newborn's parents anyway just in case.

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 13:26:30

Just at mil house now she thinks Bites as she said she would expect to see them on her torso first, fingers crossed it isn't chicken pox

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 13:34:33

Well like I said Ds had his start in his face

He had one spot like that on Sunday and then Wednesday it spread everywhere else

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 29-May-17 13:47:04

I guess I will have to see

Soubriquet Mon 29-May-17 13:48:35

Yeah.
If nothing else in 3 days, bite

If more come, pox

Starsandwishes Mon 29-May-17 13:52:40

Are the spots fluid filled? From the pic the don't look like chicken pox

shesabrick Mon 29-May-17 14:35:57

You will know by tomorrow. Chicken pox escalates pretty quickly. They aren't fluid filled at the very beginning so that alone doesn't rule it out but bites definitely possible at this time of year. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now