Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5yo crying in pain for a graze he did this morning...

(15 Posts)
LONC2012 Sun 28-May-17 20:46:52

This morning my 5YO son was running and he tripped and grazed his knee. I took him inside out a cold paper towel on it (briefly as he wouldn't let me) then covered it with a plaster. Around 1ish we came home and changed his plaster and he has been fine all day till about 2 hours ago when he started to complain it was hurting.

I took the plaster off and got a cold paper towel again and left it out for a bit to try get some air. He has cried and whined most of the evening because it hurts. He has gone to bed after having some calpol and a clean plaster and so far he's quiet.

He has no temp or anything like that - the wound is still raw and I wouldn't say it was bleeding but it's wet?

Is it possible it could be infected that quickly? It's only a small graze but don't want to ignore it if it's hurting him. (I'm such an over worrier) I will attach a photo of his knee which is about 10 hours after he did it.

Thanks in advance - probably worrying over nothing!

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 28-May-17 20:53:51

How hard did he fall/hit it? Is the graze just a red herring and the pain is possibly the joint?

BarnsligRav Sun 28-May-17 20:54:14

Could he have some grit or something in it?

BarnsligRav Sun 28-May-17 20:56:39

Obv it looks very clean but it's a possibility if it's still hurting.

That said my five year old boy will completely freak out about grazes all the while he can see them. Even ones that are days old. As long as he forgets about them he's fine but as soon as he sees them he flips.

Doje Sun 28-May-17 20:59:40

It's maybe just throbbing a bit. I wouldn't worry, it looks clean to me and pretty superficial. I'd Calpol and keep an eye on it. But I am known to be a bit heartless at times

WallisFrizz Sun 28-May-17 21:02:18

My DS would be just the same as this...massive drama llama. He would be holding his leg in awkward positions to avoid it going in the bath, lots of whining etc. He was always fine.

LONC2012 Sun 28-May-17 21:05:07

Thanks for your replies, it did bleed when he did it but not like pouring or anything like that. I was putting his brother in the car when he did it so I didn't see him fall just heard him. (I did tell him to stop running hmm)

He isn't usually phased by these things he just gets on with them. He is fast asleep now though so maybe tiredness took over and he got a bit emotional. Just me being a worry wort as per usual lol!

Thanks again for your replies smile

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 28-May-17 21:05:27

When he is asleep have a squeeze around.
Ds did this years ago and I got a piece of glass the size of a 2 p out!!

nearlyfinishednearlystarted Sun 28-May-17 21:05:37

Can he see it? As in is he wearing long pj's? Or shorts? I'd make sure he couldn't see it and give him a bit of calpol.

MrsELM21 Sun 28-May-17 21:12:49

My DS (5 almost 6) did something like this on Wednesday, I'm still hearing about it every couple of hours, there is nothing in it etc but I think he's just got a bit obsessed with it, sending healing vibes your way, it will be over soon enough!

LONC2012 Sun 28-May-17 21:13:00

He had long pjs on but it's irritating it so he now has shorts on. He has grazed his knees lots of times and never been bothered before and he has been fine with it all day until about 7pm so don't think seeing it is the problem it's probably just a little bit sore and tiredness hasn't helped him.

Anyway he is fast asleep so hopefully that will be him till the morning and it will hve healed a lot more through the night. They just love to keep us on our toes!

MrsELM21 Sun 28-May-17 21:13:21

Yes DS is much better when it's got a plaster on and he can't see it diva

Quartz2208 Mon 29-May-17 00:33:07

Yeah sounds normal. We had toegate, a little bit of skin came over DS big toe. I mean he has been through some pain (broken leg, pnemonia, sepsis) but he still moaned about his toe!

LONC2012 Mon 29-May-17 19:07:32

Well it's still hurting but not as dramatic as he was last night. He has had shorts on all day and complained occasionally. It is still a big manky round the outside (see photo) but hopefully it's just trying to heal!

Thanks again for replies smile

MoonDuke Mon 29-May-17 19:16:14

Sounds like my 5 year old. As a toddler he split his head open and cried for all of ten minutes. Now the slightest injury has him hopping and whinging all day long.

Still, that graze does look quite nasty and will take a while to heal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now