Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.


(2 Posts)
bluerose24 Sun 28-May-17 14:59:54

She has just turned three two days ago. She got ill the first week with a temp that would not go away. We got given antibiotics from out of hours as she has puss and was vomiting. She gets tired with the temperature and hasn’t eaten well for 4 weeks. She drinks but not as much as she did in one go but enough to keep her hydrated. Her temp has spiked up to 39.5 at lots of points sometimes higher. Each time she has had antibiotics her temp goes down just over 24 hours later. Then when her antibiotics are finished she gets ill again within 2 or three days. She has had spots each time. We was told it was tonsilitis but have to wait for over 6 or 8 weeks for a letter for a referral. How much longer to get things sorted after seeing an ent we don’t know. Their was confusion if she was at first going or not even though she’s been ill for ages and had previous tonsillitis before these 4 weeks running. She never gets fully better. Her tonsils are big. We keep getting told its viral then tonsillitis but viral that’s caused tonsillitis. She’s been ill for 9 months. At firsy when she woke breathless they said it was asthma which she’s fine running during the day. She snores and has night sweats. Shes had a rash on her back and front twice in four weeks. The second time she had an odd red rash with it that wouldn’t fade under glass on her chest. We got her seen and they said it was ok and faded i showed the doctor again and said it didnt which he the confirmed it didnt. He said it would be down to her tonsils as she had bad tonsils and all the symptoms with it. She did say in the first two weeks her neck hurt which we was told was down to her temp and feeling odd as when she went to the doctors she didn’t complain about it. And was ok with light. She was taken to see paediatrics at hospital which came back she had a slight infection white blood cells raised which they again said could be viral. Viral for 9 months????! She had a swab done at our doctors last wensday while she was finishing her third course of antibiotics on the friday. She had some stones which he scraped for a sample. We went back on Monday as she was getting ill with a temperature again and beein threating to be sick. He said her tonsils looked big but they always are on her. I argued they were bigger and he said they cant keep giving her antibiotics. He said the swab was clear and the blood test was clear??! I said i swear the level was slightly high but nothing to worry about and he said different levels can be with viral. Viral... that shes only had tonsillitis 4 times and its not enough to be seen. I put across that another doctor said she was going to see an ent if her symptoms persist. Which he then said she’s getting refereed. He said its terrible for them etc. Healing is bad blood etc trying to said it was the wrong thing. But what else can we do with a poorly child and no help or solid answers? Also our nurse said we would get into trouble if we keep taking her into out of hours which we cant help if she’s ill after the doctors as she doesn’t seem ill enough for them when we do take her. Because her tonsils had no spots that day her temp was raised a little but not much as the nurse on the phone said give her ibroprofen as paracetamol wasn’t working to lower it below 39c so when she went it was lower... but we got sent away with nothing. That same day a few hours later when the doctors was closed we had to take to put of hours as she hadnt been sorted earlier. She was terrible. Vomiting with high temp and very sleepy complaing of being cold and shivering. We took her to out of hours which gave her antibiotics on delayed prescription which we got the next day but we got told again it could be viral. I’m sick of this viral thing. He said the antibiotics might be having a false effect and not taking her temp down but just the paracetamol and ibuprofen. I explained she wasn’t on either two while on antibiotics. He wasn’t concerned about her ongoing temp for 4 weeks as it had been on and off and better with antibiotics. This times she’s still got a temp with her antibiotics. Not as high when she has been on them but still 37.7 to 38.5 which is worrying as its not settling as much as it has before but shes been more well with them at least. She still has white spots on her tonsils and this time with thrush. She got thrush Tuesday morning after out if hours. We spoke to our nurse on the phone who said go to pharmacy we got cream a d the recommended giving her the course of cream after the antibiotics so it doesn’t re appear. We wanted her seen still as she developed spots over night and the nurse on the phone said she didn’t need to see her to give her the thrush creame first for a gew days and if her temp hadnt gone in two days give her the antibiotics. It had been two days alreadh and cotor said to gibe her the antibiotivs first but didnt see the thrush as it wasnt their in the night. So we gavr her the creame and she was just getting worse with no antibiotics so i rang for her to be seen a hour before our doctors was closing. Found it was too laye and got told to ring in the morning. So we did that and she said she didnt need to see her again and to keep with the creme and then antibiotics. She was still poorly hadnt been seen and her tonsils had stones so me and my partner started her antibiotics.her thrush was gone but syill needs treating. Got told cant treat the two at the samr time as it wouldnt get rid of the thrush. In the night time her tonsils had swollen to the point where they were touching and she woke up being sick with saliva and couldnt breath well but settled. We rang out of hours who said keep an eye on her. She was coughing during the night after her attack but was luckily ok. We havent be told whats going on properly. Had a pkan in action and been told what we are going to do after these antibiotics... shes still got a temp and if we go into out of hours will be told probably not to worry as she is playing atm and running around. But she gets terrible without the abtibiotics. No anwers and they seem to work less and less and she is finishing them in two days. Shes also got thrush below which had been their for 3 months or so. Got told it was not thrush and now this. The nurse on the phone hasnt seen it but told us to give her thrush cream.

bluerose24 Sun 28-May-17 15:12:29


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: