Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsillitis and a rash

(14 Posts)
IcelandicWarriors Thu 25-May-17 19:56:43

DD 5 was diagnosed with tonsillitis today and was given antibiotics. When we saw the nurse she did have white puss spots on her tonsils and a red face rash. Her stomach and back are now covered in a rash but it isn't very red more raised skin. Is that normal?

IcelandicWarriors Thu 25-May-17 19:57:37

And can I catch it as my throat is burning?

handmademitlove Thu 25-May-17 20:00:30

Sounds like scarlet fever. The antibiotics will help but you need a ten day course if it is. Speak to a pharmacy to check. And yes you can catch it, but in adults it usually 'just' causes tonsillitis

HalfStar Thu 25-May-17 20:01:56

Agree scarlet fever, dd had this age 4. Any vomiting?

LIZS Thu 25-May-17 20:02:10

Scarlet fever? Might be worth asking gp to do a swab and if positive Strep throat is highly contagious.

HalfStar Thu 25-May-17 20:02:16

Ps definitely antiobiotics.

IcelandicWarriors Thu 25-May-17 20:13:31

Scarlett fever is doing the rounds here. Is it bad?

No vomiting and only 5 days antibiotics. Who would be best to see?

Pringlemunchers Thu 25-May-17 20:16:39

When i was young. I used to get a rash with it all the time. The doc said it is do with the infection ,running around my body. Horrible your daughter has my sympathies ( but I would err on the side of caution and get it checked, just to make sure)

IcelandicWarriors Thu 25-May-17 20:18:11

I'll call the surgery in the morning and ask their advise.

lazycrazyhazy Thu 25-May-17 23:54:39

Glandular fever (mononucleosis) causes severe tonsillitis and a rash if treated with certain antibiotics (penicillin I think) so I would get her checked out again.

IcelandicWarriors Fri 26-May-17 11:04:18

Start of scarlet fever. Thank you.

lazycrazyhazy Fri 26-May-17 22:31:36

Ah good, hope recovery is quick and it's not too severe.

IcelandicWarriors Thu 01-Jun-17 13:24:13

DD only had 5 days of antibiotics and seemed better within 38 hours of taking them. We used them all. But now she is saying her throat hurts again and she has another slight rash that could be a heat rash.

Can it come back?

NotAPuffin Thu 01-Jun-17 13:55:17

DS had scarlet fever two weeks ago and had a 10 day course of antibiotics. I think you should take her back to the doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now