Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD1 (17) seems to have developed facial tics - don't know where to start

(4 Posts)
DannyOD Thu 25-May-17 12:25:46

Don't know if this is in the right place. I have noticed recently that when my daughters face is resting (watching tv for example) she seems to have facial tics happening. (Raising her eyebrows, wrinkling her nose) I am concerned as to why this is happening? Could it be the onset of something like Tourettes? There are no vocal tics. I haven't mentioned it to her as yet as I don't want to make her self-conscious but it seems to be getting worse. I noticed her doing it when I was talking to her the other day and she was listening to what I was saying. Basically, I don't know what to do, where to start or how I can help her. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

PickAChew Thu 25-May-17 12:28:35

Without drawing attention to the movements, you need to find out if she's stressed about something.

cabbage67 Thu 25-May-17 12:44:50

Hi Danny

I can't offer any advice, but I can tell you that my son who is nearly 13 started doing very similar things when he was 10/11. It started when we were at a village fete, he just started doing these really weird things with his eyes when he was talking to someone, as if he was trying to open his eyes further. This went on for a while and I was convinced that it was the start of Tourette's. However it stopped and didn't happen for another year. Both occasions were very close to him starting the new school term in September and I put it down to anxiety.

He started doing something similar again a few months ago, blinking a lot and moving his eyes to the side a lot. I too didn't want to talk to him above it as I didn't want to make him self conscious, but I had to in the end because it wasn't nice to see and I was worried about him getting teased.

He said that he was aware he was doing it and he did it when his eyes were tired, and that he'd just got into a habit doing it and quite liked it!

He hasn't done anything since and I'm not worrying about it anymore, but i do think this is just a quirk that perhaps my son has. He also has a couple of other "quirks" like having to kiss me 6 six times and say "good night, I love you" etc in a particular order. Maybe I should be worried about him!!

Not advice, but maybe reassuring.

DannyOD Thu 25-May-17 12:52:49

Thanks Cabbage - she is retaking her GCSE Maths and English at the moment so perhaps this is making it worse. I think I will have to broach it with her but will have to pick my moment. Don't want to do it when DD2 is about for example. I am hoping it is a phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now