Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Child hasn't weed since lunch time

(22 Posts)
user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:02:37

Hi,

My dd (3) hasn't had a wee since about 1pm today. Apart from the milk she has had had bedtime, she hasn't drunk a great deal this afternoon (due to the fact I gave her water this afternoon instead of flavoured water/juice). She has drunk some but sips here and there instead of large quantities. I have put her on the toilet three times since having a bath and she has been getting very upset because she doesn't need to go.

She has no other signs of being ill apart from a minor runny nose.

Thanks

twocockers Wed 24-May-17 21:04:28

I don't know if it's hot where you are but my priority would be to get her to drink something. Fully understand if you're trying to cut out fruit juices etc but if it's hot then she needs hydration more than being healthy at this present time.

viques Wed 24-May-17 21:05:23

If she won't drink then give her an ice lolly.

Sirzy Wed 24-May-17 21:06:35

Any reason you haven't given her the juice?

FATEdestiny Wed 24-May-17 21:06:45

She won't have done a wee because her body needs all the hydration it got through her drinks.

ScarlettDarling Wed 24-May-17 21:09:10

I'm guessing that she's not weeing because she hasn't had enough fluid today. It's been very warm so she's probably been sweating and if she hasn't drank much to start with, there'll be nothing to wee out!

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:09:32

Hi thanks for replying.

She has had two big glasses of milk and some water before bed (on top of what she has this afternoon) but obviously that would take time to go trough her system. After trying to get her to urinate three times straight after drinking the milk, she is now asleep.

I would have offered her squash this afternoon if she wasn't going to the toilet then but ahe was drinking enough water to stay hydrated, just not the large quantity that she would drink if it was squash or juice.

PickAChew Wed 24-May-17 21:11:32

Hot weather isn't the best time to break a juice habit. Do you mean fruit juice, or diluting juice/squash/cordial?

Give her a drink she'll actually drink and rather than going cold turkey, make her drinks a little more dilute every few days and wean her off that way.

I know plenty of adults who won't drink plain water, mind.

furryelephant Wed 24-May-17 21:12:41

Could she have weed in the bath so not need to go?

sebashocked Wed 24-May-17 21:12:41

Could she have done a wee in the bath without you realising?

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:13:41

Thanks. That makes sense. She has been running around a lot today!

The reason I stuck to water this afternoon was because we had been on a picnic with her friends where she had drunk mainly juice/ fruit shoot. So with the weather being warm, I wanted to make sure she was drinking enough water. She was sipping regularly but not drinking the amount she would have done if it was something tastier.

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:16:26

She could have weed in the bath although she is saying she didn't then saying she can't remember. However, she did throw quite a tantrum in the bath as my husband accidentally splashed water in her eye whilst washing her hair, so it is possible that she weed and not realised.

The other reason for the added water today is that she is slightly constipated.

Sirzy Wed 24-May-17 21:17:25

But you haven't added water you have removed it if she hasn't been drinking the quantity she normally does.

Enidblyton1 Wed 24-May-17 21:19:50

If she has just has two big glasses of milk and some water before bed I wouldn't be worried about dehydration.

I would on the other hand be worried about her wetting the bed!!

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:21:10

I should make it clear that I only stuck to the water when we got home from the picnic. During the picnic, when she she was out in the hot weather, she was drinking juice.

She even asked for water when we got home, so I took advantage of the fact that she actually wanted to drink water instead of juice. But like I say, she didn't drink it to her usual quantity.

Etak15 Wed 24-May-17 21:23:16

I would agree with the heat theory! And the wee In the bath theory!
And she'll probably be waking you up in the night to go for wee - or to to change the bedgrin

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:24:00

I haven't removed any drinks, we were out having a picnic where she drunk her usual amount. And urinated a normal amount.

When we returned home I gave her the water and like I said, she was drinking it. If she hadn't drunk it, I would have of course given her something else.

Yes she could well do wet the bed! She usually wakes around midnight every night for a cuddle from me so I am hoping she will wee then

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:24:31

Yes I had better get some spare sheets ready I think grin

PickAChew Wed 24-May-17 21:25:08

The constipation may be part of the issue. She won't necessarily be getting the message to go for a wee as loud and clear as normal.

But 150ml of squash contains pretty much 150ml of water. The only difference is that she'll drink more of it than plain water, which is a good thing when it's warm and she's constipated. Just make it a little weaker if you're concerned about her drinking too much of the squash itself.

user1482334903 Wed 24-May-17 21:32:43

Thank you for your advice.

user1482334903 Thu 25-May-17 07:38:06

Hi all, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice last night. She weed at midnight last night and had weed and pooed this morningsmile

PickAChew Thu 25-May-17 23:07:30

Good news smile Long may the peeing and pooing, all in the right places, continue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now