Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Some help and advice needed

(10 Posts)
Shazza19901 Fri 19-May-17 12:34:55

My 22 month old has been off it for 3 days now, mix of earache, teething and swollen glands. Been to gp who says it's just viral illness...
Day 3 and he's barely eaten, drank anything for the past 3 days. He just keeps throwing himself onto the floor rolling around, won't let me pick him up or anything, and when he does finally come around he just wants to be left alone but cries as soon as I leave the room. I am at my wits end, I just want him to have a drink at least sad
Has anyone got any advice on what I can do? I've left him some food and drinks lying around but he won't touch, then has a meltdown as soon as I suggest anything to him...

DeanKoontz Fri 19-May-17 12:36:15

Are you giving him any pain relief?

SasBel Fri 19-May-17 12:36:44

Back to GP as he sounds dehydrated. Will he take an ice pop? Good luck.

Shazza19901 Fri 19-May-17 12:38:41

I've been giving Calpol and ibuprofen every 4 hours, he perks up for about 10 mins then straight back to crying and rolling around on the floor, I only went to see the Dr yesterday. Tried an ice pop but he won't have any of it

DeanKoontz Fri 19-May-17 12:42:26

Back to GP if you're not happy. See a different one.

flakebaby Fri 19-May-17 12:45:42

Pain relief- is he getting decent doses? If he is big for his age, worth checking dose by weight (GP or pharmacist could do this) as can be more generous.
Red throat/teething- could try difflam spray
Was ear inflamed? The ear drum might 'pop' and then discharge some fluid which makes pain reduce a lot.
I'd try 5mls juice every 5 mins with syringe, offer ice cream/lollies whatever he fancies etc.....
Check his mouth still looks wet inside and watch for wet nappies.
Fingers crossed for you!

juniorcakeoff Fri 19-May-17 13:23:21

Sounds like he is in pain, is he worse than when you took him to GP yesterday? I would ring and ask for telephone consultation, Flakebaby is right ear pain can make them act like this.

DoItTooJulia Fri 19-May-17 13:25:05

Jelly counts as water. And warm orange squash can help ear pain. Poor mite. And don't hesitate to take him back.

Shazza19901 Fri 19-May-17 13:28:41

It's just like everything hit him at once. Finally got him settled and eating an ice Lolly. He just becomes inconsolable, the Dr says the earache could be made worse by his teething which is probably right. I Just panic when he throws himself down and won't let me do anything for him. I think it's just a case of riding it out. Thanks for replying

SasBel Fri 19-May-17 18:18:11

Good luck, hope it passes soon. Poor mite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now