Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this just a stomach bug? - advice needed

(11 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Wed 17-May-17 22:38:38

DD (2.5) has had a bad tummy since Monday morning. She's had 5-6 bad, loose/runny nappies a day since then (we are now end of day 3). It's REALLY unlike her as actually she suffers from poo withholding and constipation normally, and is on daily medicine to help her. I've obviously stopped that while her stools are so loose. (She's been on the meds for 7 months and this is the first time this has happened - even skipping one day of her meds can throw her back several days)

Last night and tonight she's woken up and had to go for a poo - this is the first time since she was about 10 weeks old that she's had a poo in the MOTN.

She's completely fine otherwise, no temperature, lethargy or other complaints. She's eating and drinking normally.

Could it just be a stomach bug without really feeling unwell? I kept her off nursery on Tuesday and I'll have to do the same tomorrow (she only goes 2 afternoons a week) which is a shame as she's just settled in and this is going to set her back a bit.

Is there something I should be giving her, or foods to avoid etc?

TIA

IwillrunIwillfly Wed 17-May-17 22:43:55

It could be a tummy bug, but it might be worth considering if if could be overflow from her constipation? Basically you get a built up of poo and liquid poo forces itself round the edges. Might be worth making a gp appointment for them to have a feel at her tummy if you think its a possibility?

Iambubbles86 Wed 17-May-17 22:46:24

Same as pp, sounds more like overflow.

SleepForTheWeek Wed 17-May-17 22:48:59

She's not been constipated for a month or two. She usually has 1-2 good soft poos a day. As soon as they even THINK of becoming firm she withholds, which then leads to constipation, but the medicine she's on has been doing it's job.

redandwhite1 Thu 18-May-17 00:27:21

My my son has this right now!

He's fine, eating and generally himself but is having 3-4 loose poos a day since Monday

Unsure what to do!!

SleepForTheWeek Thu 18-May-17 07:44:43

We've just had sickness and poo at the same time 🤢

She's got a by of a cold and seems quite mucousy so wondering if it could be that??

SleepForTheWeek Thu 18-May-17 19:18:43

Another bad day, and more sick.

Think I'll phone GP tomorrow. I'm thinking could be what she's eating and she's fit and healthy otherwise x

SleepForTheWeek Fri 19-May-17 22:50:59

GP is unconcerned, he advised to give plenty of fluids and come back if it's been going on for 2.5 weeks.

It's not sitting well with me though. She's had another 4 bad nappies today and has been sick twice (both times when she had the urge to poo) and that's two nights in a row she's brought all her dinner up.

She's still as bright as a button otherwise though.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 21-May-17 17:09:37

Does sound like a tummy bug. It can linger for a while, even when they are feeling and looking so much better.

Recently my children had it. My son only had the vomiting but was quite poorly.. My daughter had the poos for about 4 days before mild vomitting and didn't act poorly with it. It affects everyone differently.

Hope she's better soon!

Shootingstar2289 Sun 21-May-17 17:11:11

My daughter also suffers with constipation so the poos were a surprise.

Make sure she drinks plenty of fluids and doesn't eat anything to rich or spicy.

Children can normally go back 48 hours after last symptoms.

Gumdroptears Sun 21-May-17 17:26:27

This is the 7th day and the first day I've noticed a difference with her, stomach still delicate I think but instead of 5-7 bad poos we've only had 2 and dry retching rather than actual sick.

The good news is she has literally potty trained over two days (including poos) I think because they've been much easier than normal to do!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now