Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Severs Disease or Leukemia...

(6 Posts)
Ojoj1974 Wed 17-May-17 21:20:28

hi, I have spent this afternoon with my 11yr DD in Orthopedics. She was referred there due to pains in her heels when she plays sports.

We were seen by a senior nurse practitioner who asked a few basic questions, asked DD to walk around the room and also lie on the couch while she manipulated her feet.

The nurse then said she probably had Severs Disease (which I had heard about), suggested xray and blood tests to rule anything sinister out.

My daughter became upset at the thought of a blood test and asked if she really needed to have it and the nurse bluntly replied,
'Yes to rule out leukemia'.........................

Luckily my DD appeared not to know what leukemia was but was concerned. I however, am in turmoil.....

All I expected today was for her to be told she had claw toes and her problems were mechanical. Solution being a pair of orthotics.

Instead I am in total pieces.

I can't believe we were given no gentle explanation ...

shewolfmum Wed 17-May-17 22:19:41

Not a very gentle bedside manner...but with no other symptoms unlikely to be leukemia i am sure...i would maybe complain about that...

Skyllo30 Wed 17-May-17 22:22:59

Bony pain that's been going on for a while would be very unlikely to be leukaemia in a child, especially with pain on exertion. The blood tests are just a precaution.

Ojoj1974 Wed 17-May-17 22:25:27

Thank you for your comments, they are really reassuring. I'm calming down now but boy....

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 19-May-17 18:14:14

My son has leukaemia and is currently being treated he had quite a few symptoms but leg/foot pain wasn't one of them but understand it is in a lot of patients.

I'm hoping your daughter doesn't have any other symptoms and fingers crossed nothing serious comes back off the bloods. The nurse could of at least said 'routine' bloods to save the worry x x

Labtest7 Sun 21-May-17 08:41:53

My ten year old daughter finished treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia, almost 4 years ago. Her only symptom at diagnosis, was leg pain. Apparently it's pain in the long bones that are more likely to be affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now