Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Four year old has splinter in foot

(15 Posts)
DoraChance Sun 14-May-17 07:49:23

DS4 has been complaining of a sore foot, just noticed he's got a small splinter in the bottom of it. He won't let me get near it with tweezers, won't keep his foot still long enough for me to get a good look but it seems quite well embedded. He hates having his feet touched, toenail cutting is usually a major trauma. Has anyone got any clever tips?

Believeitornot Sun 14-May-17 07:51:57

My ds had one in his foot recently. I sat him down and asked to have a look after a warm bath. I had a sterilised needle to the side and gently scraped the skin off with some reassurance. Then I gently squeezed/pushed down the skin and it sort of popped out

That sounds easier than it was grin

MrsChopper Sun 14-May-17 07:52:58

You could make a paste of bicarbonate of soda with a little water, spread some on the affected area and put a plaster on. This might draw the splinter to the surface and you'll be able to remove it easy-peasy while he is asleep

Believeitornot Sun 14-May-17 07:54:15

My ds had one in his foot recently. I sat him down and asked to have a look after a warm bath. I had a sterilised needle to the side and gently scraped the skin off with some reassurance. Then I gently squeezed/pushed down the skin and it sort of popped out

That sounds easier than it was grin

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 14-May-17 07:54:29

A warm bath will soften the skin and make it easier to get.

RustyBear Sun 14-May-17 07:56:47

A paste of sugar and grated soap on a plaster has always worked well for me to draw out splinters and thorns. The only useful thing my MIL ever told me.

DoraChance Sun 14-May-17 08:45:24

Thanks for the tips. If only the foot wasn't waving violently around I'd be in with a chance! Will give these ideas a go.

Witchend Sun 14-May-17 11:41:09

I usually wait until they're asleep. They have no memory of kicking me in the morning grin

BertieBotts Sun 14-May-17 11:51:18

Get him in a bath, then offer him some kind of extreme bribery to hold the foot still afterwards?

Taytotots Sun 14-May-17 11:56:30

We were in a+e recently (for stitches not splinter before i set off a debate!). However, i did ask about splinter while we were there as my daughter had refused to let me near them. Doctor just said to leave and they would come out by themselves. Saved me some trauma!

HeyMicky Sun 14-May-17 11:56:33

If he's happy for you to try and remove it, have him lie on his front then fold his leg at the knee up towards his bum. Put your leg over his back if it helps. Much better leverage, you can see what you're doing and he can't see what's going on and flinch in anticipation

SherlockHolmes Sun 14-May-17 11:56:58

Those wax strips for removing hair are quite good at gripping splinters if there's a little bit showing.

Taytotots Sun 14-May-17 11:57:52

Although if it is sore that's different. Good luck! The drawing paste then getting it with tape seems to be recommended a lot on the net.

Spam88 Sun 14-May-17 11:58:08

If he won't let you at it with tweezers, a bit of mag sulpha paste will help draw it out.

DoraChance Sun 14-May-17 13:15:07

Some really good tips, thanks all! We've managed to get it out, miraculously he kept his foot still so drama over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now