Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poo holding or constipated

(5 Posts)
Lucyg10 Sat 13-May-17 20:13:00

My 3 year old daughter is either constipated or holding her poo and I'm not sure which one it is. She won't go for days and on occasions stands stiffed legged and goes red in the face. She insists she is trying to 'go' but I'm not convinced. When she does go it is huge and painful. A friend told me that if you pull the legs apart it becomes impossible to hold, although I'm yet to try this. How do I know if she is telling the truth or fighting to hold in the poo?

nocoolnamesleft Sat 13-May-17 20:56:12

If it's huge and painful then she's constipated. If it hurts like hell to poo, then of course a 3 yr old doesn't want to. Please see your GP for a decent dose of movicol.

Lucyg10 Sat 13-May-17 21:07:25

Thanks for your reply. I thought if it's constipation poos are normally small and pellet like. Hers are wide in diameter tmi and generally large. I'll take her to go.

nocoolnamesleft Sat 13-May-17 21:29:25

Yep, that's "elephant sized poo". Think of it this way - only when they've got sufficiently constipated as to stretch the rectum can they actually make poos this size.

Lucyg10 Sun 14-May-17 00:24:07

Elephant poo lol .. well it is astonishing something like that could come out somebody so tiny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now