Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Spots on toddlers face, any idea what they may be?

(5 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Sat 13-May-17 10:15:25

They have been popping up one a day since the beginning of the week. Initially I wondered about chicken pox but nothing has sprung up elsewhere, no spots on torso or legs. Now I'm wondering about insect bites. They seem to be itchy as he touches them a lot. So far he has three that have dried up, one that is drying up and one brand new one. They come up a bit swollen and red, never come to a head, no blistering.

We have a cat but she shows no signs of having fleas but I do need to give her a dose of Advantage as she's overdue so it's a possibility. I can't believe it's bed bugs as his whole bed was brand new last year DVD I keep his bedding fresh once a week. I have changed washing powder but then I tend to always get whatever's on offer. I've taken the bed apart and hoovered everywhere and all his bed stuff is in the wash.

Any ideas?

lljkk Sat 13-May-17 10:19:23

Bed bugs live in your skirting boards & mattress, they tend to come into British homes after you've been on holiday somewhere warm/hot. Washing bedding doesn't get get rid of them.

Flea bites don't usually present like that. Mozzie / spider/ other minibeast pinches & bites can look like that in people who react strongly.

SoulAccount Sat 13-May-17 10:39:22

Bed bugs can be prevalent anywhere. Not just warm places.

But they don't live just in beds.

Check for them (once he is all warm and lying in bed) but my bet is flying midges.

SleepFreeZone Sat 13-May-17 10:40:13

We have been on holiday recently but it was in this country and it wasn't hot. His bedroom is freshly decorated with carpet that is a few years old and his mattress is less than a year old 😬

SleepFreeZone Sat 13-May-17 10:41:47

No one else in the house is affected. He is four years old and at preschool where there's always some outbreak or another.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now