Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children's breakfast portion size?

(19 Posts)
HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 07:53:17

I'm wondering what the general consensus is for a suitable breakfast portion for an almost 4 year old and a 2 year old?

My kids eat weetabix with full fat milk and a teaspoon of honey every day. I always make them one weetabix each but five days out of seven both kids will ask for more and polish off a second weetabix too, identical portion size to the first.

For full disclosure the almost four year old goes to preschool two days a week. 2 year old is home with me every day. They're very active and spend a lot of time outdoors or running around the house together. They both eat a big lunch or dinner and will pick at the third meal, sometimes in sync with each other and sometimes opposite. Both are within their healthy weight range.

HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 07:54:52

Sorry, posted too soon, so with all this information is two weetabix with milk and honey too much for such little people? I'm conscious it's an adult sized portion which is where my concern comes from

Okite Sat 13-May-17 07:57:42

Mine have always liked big breakfasts, and would happily eat 2 weetabix from about age 2 (my 6 year old now has 3). I wouldn't give a teaspoon of honey with each one though, that'd end up being quite a bit of sugar, can you do a teaspoon on 2? Weetabix are one of the cereals with a lower level of sugar but there is still additional sugar in them.
Like yours, mine tend to eat 2 meals a day and pick at the third

isthistoonosy Sat 13-May-17 07:58:52

Mine are 2 and 3 they would have 1 to 1.5 with semiskimmed and no honey. They would also have a sandwich normally one slice, cheese pr ham and salad. They also have half an apple/tangerine an hour ot so later.

So 2 and waiting until lunch sounds fine ti me.

Joinourclub Sat 13-May-17 08:02:00

My almost 4 year old would polish off two easily.

Venusflytwat Sat 13-May-17 08:02:15

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it.

I'd probably do one Weetabix with milk and honey, and one slice of bread and cheese or ham. Partly for variety and partly to up the protein and lower the sugar a bit. But only because that's what works better for me, nutrition wise. If it's working for you and for them then that's fine.

CheeseAtFourpence Sat 13-May-17 08:02:23

My 5 year old will have 2-3 weetabix with milk. She has been known on occasion to have 4! After 2 weetabix she will have something at breakfast club - small bowl of cereal or toast too.

megletthesecond Sat 13-May-17 08:03:05

Mine had two weetabix with semi skimmed milk as pre-schoolers. Or one weetabix with a slice of toast.

Radishal Sat 13-May-17 08:04:28

Nothing wrong with this, especially if they are very active. Big breakfast is a good idea.

AlexanderHamilton Sat 13-May-17 08:06:03

At that age dd would have had 1 weetabix with milk & a slice of toast. I never added sugar or honey to weetabix though. Only ever to porridge.

HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 08:08:36

Glad to know it's not hugely excessive. Unfortunately I have bread phobic kids, i would love to give them a sandwich!!

HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 08:11:44

@Okite I take your point about the sugar. It's easier to be a bit more sparse if I give them two each straight off as I'd just dribble it over both. Now I know it's not a ridiculous portion size I will probably do this now rather than wait for them to ask for more

AlexanderHamilton Sat 13-May-17 08:16:26

How about adding a banana to it (either while or sliced on the weetabix)?

HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 08:20:41

@AlexanderHamilton I'm sure the oldest would go for that,
The youngest looks at fruit like it took a shit on her, pure disgust and no desire to look at it, touch it or have it in her presence 😂

MollyHuaCha Sat 13-May-17 08:21:45

Two weetabix with milk sounds pretty good to me.

(But I have never thought to add sugar/honey to it? Slices of banana are delicious with weetabix and a healthier option I would have thought)

HoleySock Sat 13-May-17 08:36:21

@MollyHuaCha I don't know why we started as the eldest ate it perfectly well without honey before he was one.
I don't specifically remember but it was probably linked to some sort of refusal to eat breakfast for a significant period of time... he won't eat anything "bready" and only eats other cereal dry so it seems the lesser of numerous evils!

GreenGoblin0 Sat 13-May-17 08:41:16

my 4 yo has 2 weetabix and has done for at least a year. 13 year old DSS would have 3. don't add any honey or anything else sugary though

Awholelotofhot Sat 13-May-17 09:17:33

My 2 year old usually has one - she used to ask for more but only rarely does now. I wouldn't put honey on it though - why add sugar?

LostMyDotBrain Sat 13-May-17 09:24:47

My 3yo has 2 weetabix with semi skimmed milk. 1 has never been enough for her really. I sometimes add chopped prunes or dates to sweeten it or if she's really hungry she can have a chopped up banana with it. Usually though she's quite happy to eat it as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now