Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 month old babies weight

(13 Posts)
Chlandy Wed 10-May-17 16:49:21

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your little ones weighed at birth and then what they weighed at 6 months old please? My son was 8lb9oz when he was born which was on the 75th centile line... He then dropped below 25th for a while around 12 weeks due to being poorly in hospital... He's slowly increased and gone back up and today at 6 months and 2 days weighs 18lb 14oz! I was made to feel like rubbish saying my son is now at risk of obesity and I should refuse him so much milk and I'm not being firm enough which will lead to behavioural problems. My son has on average 30oz of milk and we have only just started blw. He did drop his night feed but has had it last 2 nights and its that she's made me feel rubbish about! Thing is he hasn't had it for comfort as when he's done that in the past he's had a few oz and gone back to sleep, last 2 nights he's drained the bottle! I'm just ranting and feel really rubbish now, I felt rubbish when he dropped under and now I'm rubbish cos he's over! Can't win! I'm a first time mum too so I worry a lot! Thanks mummy's!

BexleyRae Wed 10-May-17 16:55:35

I don't have any advice. But please don't feel rubbish. I'm a first time mum too with a 7 month old DD. I'm not sure how a health visitor can advise you your son will have behavioural problems due to being on the bigger size at 6 months old
It's tough enough when we are muddling through this motherhood game without professionals making us feel rubbish
If your son is otherwise healthy and happy I'm sure you're doing fine flowers

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Wed 10-May-17 16:57:31

My DS was 7lb 6oz at birth and was 17lb 12oz when he was weighed around 2 weeks ago, when he was exactly 6 months. So our DSs were around 1lb apart at birth and still 1lb apart at 6 months. Health Visitor said he was still tracking the 50th centile, which he's done since birth, and didn't mention anything about obesity. My DS sometimes puts away around 40oz some days!

I wouldn't worry too much. 18lb 14oz doesn't sound too heavy at 6months. I've just checked inside one of my DSs up to 6mths baby grows and it says up to 18lb 8oz, so surely that's the average size of a 6 month old? confused

mum2be88 Wed 10-May-17 16:58:28

Argh health visitors can be so irritating at times! My DD is only 11 weeks old, she was 9lbs5 at birth, she weighs 15lbs already! I always get praised for how well she is gaining weight. It really depends on which health visitor you get.

Don't worry, you're doing an amazing job! Parenting is hard enough without people putting doubts in your mind flowers

jenniuol Wed 10-May-17 17:07:59

My DS was 8lb3 when he was born and about 16lb at 4 months and almost 20lb at 6ish months. Then at 9 months he was still only 20lb and a few oz. I'm not sure if crawling made the difference or what. At a year I think he was 24lb. He was happy, healthy growing etc. I honestly wouldn't worry too much if I was you (easier said than done I know!) and I wouldn't be refusing him milk at 6 months old.

TheSleeperandTheSpindle Wed 10-May-17 17:11:03

Agree with others saying don't refuse him milk at night if he wants it. Your DS has lots of developmental things happening at the moment, plus lots of first weaning foods aren't very high calorie, so he might just need more milk for a few weeks.

My DS still has a dream feed at 11pm and a bottle at 3am.

Chlandy Wed 10-May-17 19:08:25

Thank you everyone for your comments it's really reassuring and has made me worry less and realise he is just fine! I was chuffed with his weight as he was in intensive care at 12 weeks and fell quite below so I feel we've done super to build it back up and then some! He's such a happy baby and even when he doesn't have a night feed he still doesn't sleep through so I don't just feed him automatically, we know the difference between a hungry cry and a waking up for a cuddle to go back to sleep! He didn't even go into 6-9 month clothes that early, only a week and a half before he turned 6 months! Stupid health visitors sometimes! It was a shock to me as I've only had lovely ones up to now, she even looked at me like I was a horrendous mother when she was saying things! Ruined what was a lovely sunny day at the park! Pffffft! Thanks again everyone smile

Sunshineandlaughter Wed 10-May-17 20:03:31

What a rubbish health visitor! And the last thing you need after all you have been through - they should be celebrating the fact he's nice ahd big and healthy again!
Maybe make a complaint? You shouldn't be made to feel like a bad mum when you have been through so much and have been only doing the best for your child. Critised for feeding him! Im angry on your behalf. You can't win with hvs!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the week enjoying your healthy, happy and cutely chubby little boy smile

SansaClegane Wed 10-May-17 20:10:19

It's shite, ignore.
My DS3 was around 25lbs at 6 months (DS1 was 22lbs, DS2 'only' 21lbs due to illness and losing weight shortly before). However, they were all exclusively breastfed at that stage and all crawling and very active. They are now all tall, slim boys.

Twopots Thu 11-May-17 22:06:13

My eldest was a big fat baby - highest centile with weight and lowest centile for height - so basically a ball!! I mentioned it to HV and she told me no child can be too fat from baby milk!!
He is now 9 and although still short he is like a rake! Please ignore give a healthy blw diet and he will be perfect - some babies are chubby some aren't smile

Awholelotofhot Sat 13-May-17 09:35:49

It's irrelevant about other baby's weights as long as he's following his own percentile - what is his current weight on that? My daughter is nearly 2 and just over 24lbs which is right for her as she's always followed the 50th centile.

In terms of milk, if they're formula fed I think up to 20oz is recommended (but double check) and then after a year this goes down to 12oz

dementedpixie Sat 13-May-17 09:43:14

Mine was 21lbs at 23 weeks and had just started solids. His weight was never mentioned. He's still a big tall solid lad age 10.

dementedpixie Sat 13-May-17 09:44:12

It's a minimum of 20oz up to 1 year and then around 300mls after 1 year. Milk intake sounds fine for that age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now