Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this slapped cheek?

(12 Posts)
Titsywoo Wed 10-May-17 15:47:52

A girl in ds class had this a few weeks ago and today he has come up in this rash. He doesn't feel unwell or anything. It is spreading further down his arms. Should I go to the GP?

Titsywoo Wed 10-May-17 16:24:07

Bump

grasspigeons Wed 10-May-17 16:30:10

I think most people would be reluctant to diagnose over the Internet. Both slap cheek and scarlet fever are doing the rounds where I live. Have you done the glass test if you are concerned about meningitis

Mooey89 Wed 10-May-17 16:32:37

My son has had both and felt unwell with both!

I would see a GP or pharmacist

Titsywoo Wed 10-May-17 16:37:37

Glass test is fine. It's a bit raised anyway so not concerned about meningitis.

TwatteryFlowers Wed 10-May-17 16:53:15

My dd had red cheeks and a bit of a rash at the weekend. She also felt a bit warm and a bit poorly.

It had gone away by Monday morning so we sent her to nursery as usual and that night we saw her first chicken pox spots.

We are not doctors and it's almost impossible to tell what might be wrong with him just from a photo; if he's poorly and you're worried, the best thing to do is to seek actual medical advice.

Hope he's well again soon flowers

Titsywoo Wed 10-May-17 18:08:19

Went to the GP and they don't know what it is. It's either an allergic reaction or viral apparently but can't be slapped cheek as no sore throat or fever. Helpful.

BurnTheBlackSuit Fri 12-May-17 14:00:17

My child has just been diagnosed with Slapped cheek. Pretty much the same as yours- bright red cheeks, but completely well in himself (and hasn't been unwell recently either). The doctor I saw looked it up on her system and said that it is quite common for a child not to have other symptoms such as a fever.

How's your son doing now?

Titsywoo Fri 12-May-17 14:39:19

He's fine thanks. I kept him off yesterday but I don't think it was really necessary and I think the GP I saw was wrong and it is slapped cheek. The rash is going down now and he's still well in himself. Hope your DC gets better soon smile

BurnTheBlackSuit Fri 12-May-17 16:11:42

Thanks. I'm glad your son's rash is going down and that your doctor diagnosed it! My son's rash is now on his arms and legs (it wasn't a few hours ago when we went to the doctor!) as well as his face, but he's still completely well!

Supernothing22 Fri 12-May-17 20:44:22

My 5 year old has what I believe us slapped cheek. He's got red cheeks and a rash on the top of his arms since Tuesday, at first i thought ged caught the sun.

He's got a temperature with it and he's been niggly for at least 2 weeks prior to the rash.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 14-May-17 09:28:33

Supernothing- sounds like it. My son had red face, then 24 hrs later red patches on arms and legs as well. Then 24 hrs after that his face was almost normal but sunburnt looking arms and legs and then 24 hrs later pretty normal looking again.

I hope your son is feeling better now as it seems to be a quick illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now