Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 yr old eating hair

(7 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfGrace Sat 06-May-17 12:59:02

I've researched lots about this online but haven't been able to find a clear answer as I guess it's behavioural & depends on the child. My DD2 is always eating hair she sometimes pulls it out but mostly it's just hair she finds (mine more than anything).

From what I gather it is normal & she should grow out if it but when do I contact the GP for a referral? I'm not so worried physiologically more health wise really as some appear in her nappies but I reckon she must have a hairball forming in her stomach confused.

HV said she'll grow out if it but if it carries on (esp the eating the hair part not hair pulling) it is abnormal & to contact GP.

I've had mixed responses on how to handle it from 'ignore it it'll go away' (it didn't) to stating to her that "we don't eat hair & to give it to mummy or daddy as big girls don't eat hair" (that seems to work most of the time but isn't it drawing too much attention to it?) to "chew this not hair" (never ever works)

I feel very conflicted as to what to do anyone else had this experience? She's always done it right from the get go from when I BF her but don't think it's BF related issue just a comfort textural thing as she mostly just likes having it in her mouth & I think swallows it almost through laziness. She a very determined little girl & I'm starting to really worry about her health. I suppose the obvious thing is to contact the GP but wanted hear some RL experiences. Thanks for reading.

ForTheLoveOfGrace Mon 08-May-17 18:19:22

Bump

Shootingstar2289 Tue 09-May-17 21:10:34

Hi, my son used to do this too! It used to come out tangled in his dirty nappies! I used to worry myself sick.

He did grow out of it. I'm unsure when exactly but he is 6 now and hasn't done it in at least 2/3 years.

My son was speech delayed so explaining to him why he shouldn't do it was pretty much impossible but he did stop. I can't remember how I approached it so I'm not much help but I just wanted to let you know, she will more and likely grow out of it.

My son still loves the feel and texture of hair but thankfully not in his mouth. He just runs his fingers (or feet!!) through my hair lol.

Good luck. 😀

Good luck!

Shootingstar2289 Tue 09-May-17 21:11:20

Didn't mean to post good luck twice! 😀

ForTheLoveOfGrace Tue 09-May-17 23:46:46

Thanks so much for replying really appreciate it. I probably need luck x2 it grosses me out. Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer then.

Bejazzled Tue 09-May-17 23:55:16

Hope it sorts itself out but definitely worth monitoring. My childhood friend ended up with a big operation on her stomach to remove a massive hair ball 🙁 She was left with a massive scar on her tummy.

fannydaggerz Tue 09-May-17 23:56:09

I used to do this when until I was about 11. It was a comfort to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now