Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What could be wrong with dd?

(23 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 05-May-17 12:45:11

My 10 year old dd has been having some tummy trouble. In the last few months she's starting to get frequent tummy aches and needs to go to the loo more.

She used to poo once a day in the evening, now she goes in the morning as well and it takes her a while so we're nearly late for school.

In recent weeks she's been feeling sick on and off too.

I took her to the GP about a month ago (before the nausea started) who felt her tummy and said all was fine, but I should get a poo sample and bring her back if symptoms continue.

I haven't managed to get the poo sample yet as dd is embarrassed and won't let me!

Any advice please?

JaxingJump Fri 05-May-17 12:47:41

Get the poo sample! And investigate further!

esiotrot2015 Fri 05-May-17 12:48:14

Could it be anxiety causing her stomach problems ?

Patriciathestripper1 Fri 05-May-17 12:50:34

Put cling film in toilet bowl and when she has finished go in and get a sample.
You deffo need to do s sample to rule out any infection.
Have her eating habits changed at all?
Has anything changed at school to make her feel upset or anxious as going to loo before school could be delaying tactics/nerves as could be the sickness.

claraschu Fri 05-May-17 12:52:50

She might not tell you it is anxiety (if it is), and she might not know herself...
You have to be a detective

Ginorchoc Fri 05-May-17 12:56:27

You need to get the poo sample she is 10, you're the parent. My daughter suffers adominal migraines, they can start around this age.

Dancergirl Fri 05-May-17 13:37:42

I am well aware that I am the parent thank you and if it's needed yes of course I will make sure that happens.

She actually is quite anxious and we have also realised (in the same time frame actually) that she also has some sensory issues. Not sure if it could be related?

nocoolnamesleft Fri 05-May-17 19:12:50

What consistency of poo? If it's taking her so long, is she actually constipated, and heaving and straining to go?

cestlavielife Fri 05-May-17 20:32:40

Politics e.g. yogurt type actimel
Probably constipated
Going more and straining due to constipation

Dancergirl Sat 06-May-17 13:04:32

When she has a tummy ache, her poo is sometimes a bit runny.

But other times she has got in the habit of sitting there for ages....

MollyHuaCha Sat 06-May-17 13:25:49

Poor girl. She's ill and embarrassed about the nature of it. Give her disposable gloves and get her to retrieve her own poo sample maybe? At 10 she should be able to to this.

moobeana Sat 06-May-17 13:32:16

Is she showing signs of puberty?

I had this as a child. And still to an extent as an adult. My poo changes depended on part of my cycle. I often have cramps and diahorea around my period.

boolifooli Sat 06-May-17 13:35:41

Tummy pains at that age can be somatic. I notice her issues cause problems at the time you're leaving for school. How happy is she at school?

Reow Sat 06-May-17 13:37:44

Is she an anxious child?

I have had stomach problems caused by anxiety for years.

MollyHuaCha Sat 06-May-17 15:21:27

It could be anxiety... but it could well be something else. When I developed Crohn's symptoms at the age of 17, I was told it was caused by anxiety (family's diagnosis), then anorexia nervosa (doctor's diagnosis). It was two years before it was correctly identified as Crohn's.

Dancergirl Sat 06-May-17 16:07:56

Thank you, will get the poo sample and take it from there.

jelliebelly Sat 06-May-17 16:10:11

Definitely get the sample - without it you will simply be guessing.

Dancergirl Mon 15-May-17 13:42:28

Managed to get the sample and found out that it came back normal. Have booked a GP appointment next week to discuss.

Itsnothingoriginal Mon 15-May-17 20:04:10

My dd is getting something very similar on a frequent basis. I think it's anxiety related as she had various tests a while back and all were normal. I think as suggested above that it could be abdominal migraine but I'm not really sure how to deal with it and the anxiety issues that cause it confused

Be really interesting to hear if you get any answers from your GP!

RubySparks Mon 15-May-17 20:09:43

Has she been tested for coeliac disease? Sounds a lot like it, I was only diagnosed as an adult but had all the questions around not liking school put to me.

Dancergirl Tue 16-May-17 09:43:32

ruby I did actually add on the form to please test for coeliac but I'm not sure if they test the poo or if a blood test is needed?

I will ask GP when I go next week.

RubySparks Thu 18-May-17 20:40:34

Yes it is a blood test

endofthelinefinally Thu 18-May-17 20:45:56

Read the ERIC website.
You may well glean some useful information that you can then use to take this forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now