Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS Weight

(17 Posts)
user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:43:16

Recently me and my family went on holiday we did a lot of lounging around and sunbathing and had an excellent time however my son went in the pool alot. I only noticed when he went into the pool for the first time how big he looked. I had never thought he had looked that overweight before but all throughout the holiday I couldn't stop noticing how large he was even with clothing on. He had breasts and a large stomach. His stomach had quite a few rolls and came over his shorts. I'm not sure whether he actually notices. I try my best to cook and eat healthy and homemade with plenty of fruit and vegetables. After we arrived home I put him on the scales and he weighed 74kg. He is 13 years only and is about 5foot 3. I have started to make suttle changes to his diet. I am looking for advice from anyone who has been a similar thing or whether anyone is currently in a similar situation thanks in advance.

Hercules12 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:48:57

I would take him to see dietician. That's a fair bit overweight.

Hercules12 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:56:26

Sorry but that puts him at 96 centile for weight. I really do think you need to seek outside help.

user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:02:06

I was very surprised as well on holiday how many children a similar age and younger are overweight too any advice??

Hercules12 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:03:36

Yes! Go to gpay and ask to see dietician. He is very overweight.

Hercules12 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:05:35

Some local authorities used to offer courses for families with children who were overweight. Might be worth asking school nurse if there's one in your area.

user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 17:46:21

Any suggestions before I see a gp I won't be able to even try to get an appointment till Tuesday and that appointment will probably be 2 weeks away

purplecoathanger Sun 30-Apr-17 18:16:08

Reduce carbohydrates, increase lean protein, increase salad and vegetables, go easy on fruit, give him low fat dairy.

Swimming is very good for all round fitness. Is there a swimming club he could join?

user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:20:08

After speaking to him I doubt he would like to go swimming but I will suggest it

Littlefish Sun 30-Apr-17 18:24:27

Just for comparison OP - my dd is 12 and a half. She is 5 ft 4 and weighs 49kg. She is 56th percentile for weight. She is very sporty, fit and strong.

Well done for recognising that this is something you need to address. Have a look at the size of portions you are giving him. They should be smaller than adult sizes.

BoboBunnyH0p Sun 30-Apr-17 18:49:11

Look at the sugar in foods 4g = 1 teaspoon, it's surprising how much sugar is in low fat yoghurts.

Chrysanthemum5 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:54:16

Our DCs aren't overweight but that's because they do a lot of sport. However we realised the portions we were serving were adult size and if they cut back their sport then they would become overweight. It also wasn't healthy for us to eat as much as we did. So we just got smaller plates and bowls - smaller portions look big so we feel full up on less food!

user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 18:57:54

What a great idea with the plates

bloated1977 Sun 30-Apr-17 22:41:43

Is this a sudden thing or has he put on weight generally. My son is 38kg and similar height as your DS. That's a bug difference for you both not to have noticed. I'd say cut back on the carbs. Does he like swimming? My DS does 80 to 90 lengths every sat am so think that keeps him in shape.

bloated1977 Sun 30-Apr-17 22:43:15

Sorry just seen he's not so keen on swimming.

FlyingCat Sun 30-Apr-17 22:50:07

Perhaps focus on fitness as well as food - maybe get him a fitbit, or plan some long weekend walks for the whole family, or see if he'd be interested in signing up for a football club, or junior parkrun, or a million other options.

For food look at cutting out as much sugar as you can manage and serve fibrous (green and coloured) veg first at mealtimes. Try and eat as a family and take time over meals - people eat more when distracted.

Avoid making significant changes just for him - if he feels like it's a big issue it could lead to comfort eating or boomeranging straight back in future.

Good luck and well done for making the realisation that he needs help.

user1493566079 Sun 30-Apr-17 22:53:27

I think it is a gradual thing however the majority of weight according to him has come on in the last 6 months. I might look into getting him a fitbit what a good idea. Thanks alot for all your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now