Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsil removal after recurrent scarlet fever?

(3 Posts)
user1493462513 Sat 29-Apr-17 11:49:48

Hi all,

Been to an ENT doctor with my 6 year old daughter after she had her 3rd bowt of scarlet fever in 18 months.

He has recommend taking her tonsils out, as they are not totally sure of the long term complications if she keeps getting scarlet fever (possible joint/heart problems, in rare cases).

Has anyone else had experience of recurrent scarlet fever?

Thanks!

StewieGMum Sat 29-Apr-17 12:03:57

My eldest! She had chronic ear infections as a baby that took two sets of grommets to work and then got repeated bouts of tonsillitis and scarlet fever. The tonsillectomy was the best thing. She was sick constantly and off school almost every month. Since then, she's been sick about 5 times. In a decade! It literally changed her life. smile

user1493462513 Sat 29-Apr-17 12:28:29

Thanks for your help!

Apparently it's really rare to get Scarlett fever more than once.

I'm 99% convinced taking her tonsils out is the right thing to do. The main thing I'm thinking about is that it's just it seems fairly easy to treat scarlet fever each time and it's not currently affecting her life too much confused

But of course I wouldn't want to risk long term complications!

Just don't want her to go through the op unnecessarily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now