Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Uti in toddler girl?

(7 Posts)
User987655678911 Wed 26-Apr-17 18:31:13

ive just changed dds nappy (16m) and it smelt of quite strong stale wee - there were at a rough guess 2 wees in there, wasn't full or bulging (so not wee left over for hours and hours)
She drinks quite a lot through the day so I can't see that her urine would be very strong.
She's been a bit whingy for the last few days and I'm wondering if that coupled with the strong smelling is a sign of a uti?
She's a squirmer so when she soils it often gets everywhere.

user1482334903 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:59:21

Hi my dd had a urine infection at s similar age and she presented with a high temperature and slightly fast pulse. These were the signs that prompted me to visit the gp who tested a urine sample there and then. She didn't have any strong smelling urine that I can recall.

I do know the Utis typically present with high temperatures. Does she seem unwell in any way?

User987655678911 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:23:58

She's not had a temperature at all but she has been a big aggy and off her food - but then I'm used to those symptoms with teething
But I've noticed she's been getting a bit upset when her nappy needs changing, which she's usually not bothered at all by

BarchesterFlowers Wed 26-Apr-17 20:27:05

DD had a few as a baby and toddler.

Yes to smelly wee, I could smell it the minute I walked into our bedroom, but it was always accompanied by a 40 deg temp.

user1482334903 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:37:21

Yes ageee with the temperature. My dd was running a temp close to 40. I didn't even think of urine infection being a relatively new mum at the time (she's 3 now) but the gp tested her urine straight away as suspected a uti due to the high temperature. She was prescribed anti biopics and quickly recovered.

I would keep an eye and take her to the gp if you're concerned. They will be able to tell you there and then after testing her urine.

Hope that helps.

User987655678911 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:03:07

Thanks everyone, still no temp, going to just keep an eye for a few days and give her lots of water

RavioliOnToast Thu 27-Apr-17 10:06:24

My DD got uti's all the time when she was younger, just keep an eye on her. My DD never had a temp or anything but would spontaneously vomit which then made me occasionally think it was a bug but it was always a uti, she had the scans etc and they just put it down to the fact she was in nappies (even though she was frequently changed) she actually hasn't had one since being toilet trained.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now