Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Precocious Puberty in Boys

(21 Posts)
Squaddielife Wed 26-Apr-17 11:41:46

Has anyone any experience of this?
DS is 8, has been showing signs for 6-12 months.
Dr has referred him for blood tests, just wondering what the future may hold... am feeling very anxious
Thanks

Squaddielife Thu 27-Apr-17 09:30:51

anyone?

LatinForTelly Thu 27-Apr-17 10:27:37

Is he small or was he born small by any chance?

Is it puberty (changes to testes etc) or adrenarche (body odour, hair etc)?

Whilst you're waiting for blood tests, you might find it useful to phone the Child Growth Foundation who have a brilliant helpline. www.childgrowthfoundation.org/Contact.aspx

Squaddielife Thu 27-Apr-17 10:48:20

No, he's 1.3 so pretty spot on for age (so far). 7lb5 when born.
I wondered if it was adrenarche to be honest as he's got body odour and a few hairs but GP also said there were changes in genitals too (he didn't specify what)
Really worried here - will try that helpline thanks

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Thu 27-Apr-17 10:50:02

They will do bone scan and blood tests. And maybe a brain scan of pituitary.

Dd has true precocious puberty and had injections to delay it until she was 10 (she has severe SN)

Squaddielife Thu 27-Apr-17 12:02:10

Hi, thanks for your reply.
What injections did your ds have and did you have any problems/side effects with them?
Bloods are booked. he had an MRI a couple of years ago to rule out CP and they didn't find anything then so doubt they will repeat it.

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Thu 27-Apr-17 13:12:07

I cant remember name of it, but it will be different for boys anyway.

No side effects

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Thu 27-Apr-17 13:12:44

If hes had a clear MRI that's great. I would not worry too much then.

JDSTER Thu 27-Apr-17 22:50:09

Hi squaddie. I've just been through this with my 8 year old son, just turned 9.
Same story, changes going on for a few months, BO and a few pubic hairs.
The blood test booked will be for Luteinising Hormone Releasing Hormone test.
LHRH stimulates the production of the hormones that start puberty.
We went to a paed day unit where they insert a small cannula in the arm to be able to take multiple blood samples. A second blood sample was taken after about 30 mins (I think) and an injection of LHRH given (through the cannula) followed by a further blood test after about 30mins which checks your child's response to the hormone. Expect to be in a couple of hours. My son was happily playing on a wii through all of this! Depending on the results it will show what stage of puberty your son is at. Our results showed just starting puberty so just outside the normal age range but nothing needs to be done.

MRI/ bone scans would all be further down the line and injections for precocious puberty very unlikely based on your story so try not to worry (easier said than done I know). Hopefully he's just an early starter and you can cope with thatsmile

TheMonkeyandthePlywoodViolin Thu 27-Apr-17 23:01:19

My DD had bone scan on same day as the blood test. It must vary by region.

Needingsomeadvice Sun 30-Apr-17 22:05:21

Hi, have answered on your other thread but posting here in case you don't see!
My son had this at 8 too. He had to have various tests, including an MRI, blood tests, bone age X-ray etc. It all came back as his bone age etc all coming out at about 10, so 2 years ahead. He now had injections every 3 months (in his buttock - they alternate sides) and also he has checkups at hospital 3 times a year. He will have them until he's around 11 or 12 I believe. Not the most fun for him but necessary to pause puberty.
Please don't worry too much. DS is 10 now and it barely affects him at all apart from the above. His hormonal mood swings have settled now too as he's been having them around 18 months. Anything I can help with, please do ask x

Squaddielife Tue 02-May-17 11:57:16

Omg I'm so pleased to finally get some responses (and regarding boys too yay!) , thanks so much.

JDSTER wow the blood tests sound really invasive... I wasn't expecting that to be honest. I just thought a 'normal' sample would be taken. Showing my naivety I suppose blush. Was this the first of the tests your son had done? DS isn't the best with needles/blood (first and only time he had a blood test he passed out!). Thanks for the warning though. So your son is just an 'early starter' then? they're not worried at all about his final height etc? It's great he doesn't have to have any treatment though. Have you noticed increases in the changes?

Needing thanks for your other reply also - I have seen it on the other post too but will reply here smile
Can I ask what changes you noticed in your son? Of course you can PM me if you'd rather discuss 'off board'
Were the blood tests your son had similar to the above? What drug does he have injected and has he had any side effects to it? I'm glad things have settled down for him now.

Thanks again girls, it's such a relief to know there are happy stories out there for those of us with boys going through this. Sooo much info re girls but not so much for boys. Tests are next week so I'll report back how it goes xx

SewMuchToLearn Mon 08-May-17 13:23:41

I'm so grateful for mumsnet! DS has just called me into the bathroom to tell me he's "getting hairs on his bits. Why are they growing there?" He is 7. Surely this is too early? DH is no help as apparently he doesn't remember when is normal for hair to start growing. I'll have to make a doctors appointment (without him) for something else in the next couple of weeks. Is it something to ask then, or do I need to make an appointment sooner? Or is it normal?

Squaddielife Thu 11-May-17 09:47:40

DS had his blood tests yesterday. It wasn't too invasive but they did take several vials. He was very brave and went into school straight after. Resutls should be back in a week so will keep you posted.

SewMuchToLearn - this could be perfectly normal. If the hairs are fine,light and 'whispy' then I wouldn't worry too much. Has he shown any other signs? for example, body odour etc. If so they it maybe worth a chat with your GP. Take DS with you though because they'll want to check him over. Our GP was fab - i'd told DS that it was just a check up and Dr said the same checking in his ears/throat/heartbeat first lol.

Needingsomeadvice Fri 12-May-17 23:29:05

SewMuchToLearn Definitely get him checked out. With my DS, he was already 8.5 by the time he was seen and I think it was a bit late.

Squaddielife he has something called Decapeptyl (?) every 10 weeks. If your son has any younger siblings, do keep an eye on them too, as my other child started with this at 7 and I was seen very quickly and now both kids are on the same injections. Both are seen every 4 months at hospital. Now both DC are on this, they are going to have their appointments together - should help a lot with minimising appointments to remember!

Squaddielife Wed 17-May-17 11:19:46

Blood results are back and Dr has made note on them to say no further action needed. This is obviously a relief.
I did ask for the results but receptionist wouldn't give them to me over the phone! I asked for a copy and was told it'd cost £10 !
So I asked to book an appointment with the Dr to get the actual results so i can see the ranges. Laughable considering how overstretched they are but that was the only way.

intravenouscoffee Sun 21-May-17 18:50:30

So glad to have found this thread! DS is 7 and after his bath last night I noticed a few hairs. No BO or other changes that I've noticed but completely freaked me out. I'm going to ring the GP tomorrow for a chat but really helpful to read this thread and hear positive stories.

elfycat Sun 21-May-17 18:57:14

DD1 (now 8) has been growing hair and a whiff of BO from 6yo. We had blood tests and x-rays 6 months ago and she's got premature adrenarche - her adrenal glands are going through puberty but not the rest of her (no boobs or shape changes yet).

Who knew adrenal glands could get up to mischief in such a way?

reallyanotherone Sun 21-May-17 19:00:04

What defines precocious puberty in boys? What age is considered "too early"

Interested to see boys on this thread aged 7 or 8 undergoing tests, when in girls that isn't considered early. I teach pe and it is getting fairly normal for girls of 7 and 8 to have underarm hair.

Why such a difference?

intravenouscoffee Sun 21-May-17 19:05:50

really It's because girls typically reach puberty before boys. Onset for girls is (I think) 8-11 so early onset is only considered a couple of years before that whereas typical onset for boys is 9-13 so 7 would still count as early.

Needingsomeadvice Mon 22-May-17 15:53:40

My dd is 7 and they absolutely took her early signs very seriously. When she had the blood tests her hormone levels were much higher, and her bone age at 7 was actually 10. They did the injection only a couple of days after her results were given to us as it was urgent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now